Washington Post article about Airbnb-bust coming

I think it’s cute that he doesn’t use IB (which Airbnb pushes so hard) and has a 48 hour window to review booking requests while the rest of us have 24. Also requires “positive” reviews which technically has been removed from our options.

Thanks, @Annet3176. Well, he has a listing, but it appears to be just for show- as Deb points out, there is no availability. And he seems to not be subject to the same rules other hosts are- he states has 48 hrs to “review” a request, among other things.

He might get suspended (:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)for his camera info-

He states in the Security section that he has cameras “in the outside of the house”, yet doesn’t mention their locations. Then in the body of the listing info he says that the cameras are inside the house, just not in the guest’s private room.

He conveniently doesn’t mention whether pets are allowed.

Every surface in the guest room is covered in decorative clutter.

His profile write-up says nothing except where he lives. And sounds like it was written by one of the non-fluent in English CS reps.

3 Likes

His reviews are under his profile. He hasn’t hosted in years but he has reviews as a guest.

https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/3

2 Likes

His listing, at $0, is just more of his arrogance- it’s supposed to be some incredible opportunity to stay at his place and listen to him talk about how he started Airbnb with an air mattress and be impressed with all his Airbnb kitchy clutter.

And how come he is allowed to list for $0, when the minimum allowed for everyone else is $10?

I certainly didn’t read through all his reviews, but the high percentage of them that mention how “honored” they were to have him as a guest or a host is rather nauseating. You’d think he was some Nobel prize winning scientist whose discoveries have led to saving people’s lives.

And here’s what the CC mod Stephanie had to say:

"So we can try and get one of the weekends as he opens them up in the coming weeks and months! I saw some Hosts in one of Host clubs (facebook groups) bagged a stay.

It would be so amazing if Hosts from the Community Center managed to book a stay!"

So amazing? Give me a break. I can think of about a thousand more amazing things than staying at Chesky’s place.

5 Likes

I’m probably going to get remarks here from people who completely disagree with me but it seems that part of the problem is the number of hosts who enter into the STR business thinking that it’s an easy way to make money (:roll_eyes: ) or that it’s worth ‘trying out Airbnb’.

Many of these people have no experience in this business at all.

Many don’t bother with the legalities of the whole thing (STR insurance, licenses, bed tax etc) and the result is that we get hosts with no real clue what they are doing.

They don’t realise that Airbnb is merely an advertising platform (and payment system) and that’s all. These new hosts expect Airbnb to ‘look after them’.

These issues are all part of the problem that makes hosts and guests dissatisfied with the service. Both the hosts and the guests have expectations that are sometimes just way too high.

7 Likes

To be fair, these new hosts (or even not new ones who encounter an issue for the first time) don’t pull the idea that Airbnb will have their back out of thin air. Airbnb’s PR about “community” and how AirCover will protect you, how much they value their hosts, etc., etc., are written to promote exactly this idea that Airbnb is their partner that cares about them.

5 Likes

I agree, it’s all public relations or should I say bullsxxt. I’m surprised there’s not a lawsuit for false advertisement.

3 Likes

Just had this conversation with someone who was considering hosting. He had bought into the whole “passive income” thing.

We talked about guest communication, maintenance, common trouble/pain points, time commitment, getting through periods of slow/no bookings, cleaning, stocking basics, furnishings, the importance of staying in your rental periodically & more.

Then we talked about long term rental & mid-term rentals for the same property.

I think he is leaning toward 3-12 month midterm/LTR student & travel medical rentals because of STR not being the passive income he thought it was.

6 Likes

Amazing that they still fall for it.

I’ve known potential hosts who decided that STR insurance is too expensive (they thought Airbnb took care of every broken glass and stained towel), who didn’t realise that there are legalities to go through in most areas (licenses, inspections, and so on), that they’ll probably need to pay bed tax and that the income they receive isn’t tax-free.

They fail to realise too that authorities actively search out ‘illegal’ rentals. Once they’re listed online, they can be caught. I knew a bloke who had a notice saying that until he removed his listing and stopped doing STR he would be fined $500 per day!

So they decide to fly under the radar. Often they last a couple of months if that. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes-I saw a posting for a young woman who was doing arbitrage in Atlanta who had been given a city cease & desist order. I hear Atlanta has implemented difficult to navigate STR restrictions for newer STRs.

The Landlord had agreed for her to rent the apartment on Airbnb so she signed a one year lease then furnished it & listed. 3 months later she must shut down & the Landlord won’t let her out of the lease. She can’t pay the rent.

She was asking the group for “work arounds”.

Oh well. She’s learning an expensive lesson.

4 Likes

As I imagine a lot of would-be hosts do.

3 Likes

My holdings have all been converted to long term rentals, and I’m a part of many real estate investing groups and STR is the new get-rich-quick scheme and has been at the top of the list of ‘easy money’ or ‘new strategies’ for the last 4 years.

Seems to have slowed down a little bit, but its still the subject discussed on how to make a lot of money in real estate, the people who have poured into STR is astounding.

These people are in it solely for the money, and have little common sense as to what they are getting into.

2 Likes

… and sadly these STR investors are probably more inline with Airbnb and where it wants to go today than the single mom and pop hosts who of course also do it for the money but also are invested in the experience of hosting.

The complaints of the high cleaning fees adding to the final cost of a stay is all the result of the STR investors, they aren’t cleaning anything themselves, cleaning is a line item on their bottom line that they have to pay dearly for from a 3rd party service.

2 Likes

And in fact, many of those property-managed, remote investor host listings have poor cleaning ratings and written reviews about how dirty and run down the listings are. That’s not even a hotel model, because hotels have onsite managers who will check up on such things if they get complaints. The big str management companies don’t even seem to care.

3 Likes