Washing pillows after each guest stay?

My oldest daughter is one of those germophobes who are over the top about cleaning. She does tend to use natural products, she’s hip to that, but if she cooks chicken, for instance, she basically bleaches down the entire kitchen in fear of salmonella. Washes floors on her hands and knees with paper towels. When they came to visit one Christmas (their first time here) , my son-law got sick with “Montezuma’s revenge” almost right away and spent half his holiday on the toilet. He told me when my daughter was out of earshot that it’s because she keeps their house too immaculate- they have no resistance to nasty bacteria.

2 Likes

I removed all the pillow shams from the home and now only have to deal with 2 pillows on each bed. I put all “naked” pillows into dryer for about 15 mins, and wash the pillow protectors and cases. I also trade out all comforters between guest stays.

Are those single beds? I can’t imagine 2 people having to share 2 pillows.

There are extra pillows in closets if they need more. However on twin beds only 1 pillow and on queen and kings 2 pillows.

Oh, wow. We put 5 on queens and 4 on full/doubles. We also leave an extra in the closet. Do you wash the ones in the closet? I’ve found that guests often use them and then put them back in there - I think in an effort to be polite. It’s may be especially important right now.

I normally have 3 sets of pillows available and on turnover rotate them through a cycle of being the sleeping pillows, the shams, or the spare set in the closet. On the final rotation one set always goes through the wash and sanitize cycles on the W/D. At this time, the sleeping pillows are always run through the sanitize cycle of the dryer between guests then the rotation starts.

2 Likes