Was the cleaning protocol just a gimmick?

Not to beat a subject to death, but it has been months since the cleaning protocol was strongly recommended by several platforms. Initially a 3 day buffer was offerred between guests as an alternative, then that was removed. A one day buffer still exists. I look through the listings and very few of the hosts in our town have the cleaning protocol stamp. I resisted because I felt I could not honestly do some of the “cleaning” that was required but kept the 1 day buffer. My cleaning reviews have always been stellar—we really clean and disinfect — and my listing did not suffer from the lack of stamp. So what is the overall percentage of hosts with a stamp? Have there been any known transmissions from either hotels or STR? Any thoughts on this?Have there been any changes in the initial protocol recommendations as new science has come about?

Out of curiosity, what element of Airbnb’s cleaning protocol caused you an issue?

JF

Removing drapes and washing them with each visitor, washing all walls down from waist level down, removing all the clean dishes pans and cook wear from the cabinets and rewashing them in the dishwasher berween each guests…

2 Likes

With millions of worldwide cases I’m sure there are.

What we do know now that was less certain a few months ago is that the cleaning of surfaces isn’t nearly as important as the transmission through the droplets and aerosols. There is transmission via AC systems and plumbing too.

Personally, I feel the time between stays is more important than the sanitizing every surface including walls. I’ve got the one day buffer setting but am usually blocking a second day. I don’t want to go in the room until it’s aired out. I also don’t want to leave the room after cleaning and have a guest arrive soon after. If a guest leaves early in the morning then I can go in 24 hours later and clean and leave several hours before the next guest arrives and I may feel comfortable with that. I also find that I’m lacking the energy I had pre pandemic. I have no interest to rush into the room first thing, turn it over and then have my next guest arrive hours later.

It wasn’t a gimmick, it was an effort to help hosts get bookings in light of what was believed to be true at the time. I’ll tell you what was a gimmick: hotels putting a sticker on a door to certify that the room has been sanitized.

The important thing is not to share air with someone shedding the virus. And if you are in a place where air is shared wear a mask and eye protection to reduce possible exposure to infectious dose.

4 Likes

Totally in agreement there. Our listing has mostly been weekends starting on Thursday with a few full week rentals but the closest reservation we have had was 72 hours so we feel pretty good about the droplet precautions.

1 Like

I signed on for the cleaning badge but it’s pointless as I decided to stay private booking only through the end of the year. I do have a booking as a guest to visit the elders later this month, got a nose swab as a precaution and awaiting results. So the host messages me for ETA as someone is checking out the morning of the day I arrive and the cleaner needs to get in there. I looked up the infection stats for that zipcode and it wasn’t great. So now I’m dithering. Then the universe sent me a contractor slot for work at my residence on that date and I changed the reservation to arrive a day later. I felt enormously better. My objective being to have a nice visit with the elders and NOT KILL THEM. I’m now considering a small campervan for future travels – any expert recommendations out there?

1 Like

And hopefully that host doesn’t book in another guest on that in-between day between your rebooked dates and the previous guest who was due to check out the day you arrived.

One really scary report I read yesterday is that up to 20% of those who have had the virus, even if the symptoms were mild, or they had no symptoms but tested positive, have had permanent heart damage. And we’re talking about young people, not just older ones. One young child died from the effects on her heart.

1 Like

You may have decided that this is really the perfect Airbnb but I’d flat out tell that host that I don’t want to check in mere hours after the last guest, followed by cleaning lady had left. I know we can’t tell if a room is booked or blocked looking at the calendar as a guest so you’d have to ask what procedure the host is following.

I don’t but that seems like using a rocket launcher to kill a fly. I hope you mean to rent one not buy one.

1 Like

I think I’m safe – there’s a 3 day minimum, and a porch I will sit on after opening some windows. Superhost with the cleaning badge, for what it’s worth. Re the campervan, I already carry my own nice inflatable bed so I never have to sleep on a futon again. I’d rent first to see how I like it, but buying one is not off the charts.

1 Like

Would buy a camper van in a heartbeat right now if the total cost was affordable.

4 Likes

I read that people who go into multiple homes daily because of their job are at a greater risk of contracting Covid than those in positions such as restaurant workers. I wish I could track down the article where I read that. It was based on a study completed just a couple weeks ago. Based on that, I would be especially worried about the short window after the housekeeper’s departure.

I posted a new topic this morning with a link to a newly published review of the literature. I still wouldn’t rent a room in my home but separate spaces shouldn’t be hard to keep safe.

2 Likes

Speaking of cleaning, wow how people are losing alot of hair. Seems 9 of 10 are leaving most of their hair in our place. Also has anyone had to deal with greasy people. Yes, really greasy. We could not get it washed out of the linens from one couple and had to throw away perfect bed sheets and cases. Grease all over the bathroom floor sink toilet wall switches. Geeeze, what’s with the grease? Anyone?

1 Like

This is a new one. We have not had any grease problems but my sister had to replace 2 suede couches in her long term rental after they had grease stains where the guests laid their heads. Hair products?

Some folks have naturally oily hair. Long term rental… I would never put suede furniture in a rental. Fabric that can be easily washed or replaced.

1 Like

I agree, but she bought the place already furnished and it was a cream colored suede ! She tried all different products to get it out and made it worse. It was icky looking. She went with black leather after that. How does one clean suede anyway?

You know where the practice of having doilies and such draped over the back of couches and armchairs came from? It isn’t just some old ladies’ idea of nice decor. They were called “antimacassars”, because there was hair oil called “macassar oil”. Those doilies were to protect the back of the upholstered furniture from getting greasy.

5 Likes

Many airlines and train companies still use them - often paper ones that are disposable. That’s a wonderful idea because once you start thinking about the people who have rested their heads there before you, and the various unpleasantnesses they can have in their hair, then the last thing you want to do is rest your own head there too.

We have leather sofas in the rentals so we don’t need antimacassars but if I had suede or even fabric, I’d definitely use them. Etsy has a lot, as does Amazon, although for anyone handy, they’d be easy to make.

I’ve got a bunch of doilies. It’s what you get when you buy the house your grandpa built. Women in my mom’s family were really into embrodery. I’ve got doilies, place mats, tea towels, tablecloths, table runners, dresser scarves (that’s what Grandma called 'em), sets of napkins and runners, and pillowcases, embroidered over several generations between 1890 and the 1930s.

5 Likes

I remember the dollies, but until now never knew what they were actually for. I take it you need to prevent the stain since getting it out is unlikely!