Warning! Don't depend on Airbnb!

@CatskillsGrrl how about you chill out. I normally would read everything but last night I was unable to. Don’t like my question, don’t respond

1 Like

I don’t rely on Airbnb but I don’t advertise on any other platform (except my own website which at the moment, links directly through to the listing). I also don’t absolutely rely on the income either, although life would be more difficult without it.

I certainly don’t rely on Airbnb advertising our listing and keeping it at the top of searches - I promote it often to social media.

I don’t worry about the city banning STRs because we are a resort are. I slightly worry about the HOA banning STRs - and if that happened I’d have to go back to long term.

If Airbnb were to disappear (these things happen) then I have the blurb and photographs all ready so that I can list on other platforms within half an hour.

3 Likes

@greatgazza. I am sorry.

2 Likes

You mean it’s counting backwards? But as long as they are 5 star reviews it really doesn’t matter, does it?

Really! I’m looking at my new “price tips” and they are pathetic: $22 to 25/ night. Choke. I’d have to put a 2 or more day minimum if I were to use their tips. As it is, I’m not budging for now. I’ll wait and see what happens.

2 Likes

My response to their sad Price Tips? :smile: :smile: :smile:

3 Likes

Their ‘Price Rips’ can be hilarious. If I put $295 it suggests $125, if $395 then $154, if $495 then $198. To get the ‘Price Tip’ to match what I do charge (just for laughs), I will probably have to make the price $995. Its all in fun, not to be taken seriously.

2 Likes

Fred, I agree regarding the pricing tips – I do my own research and during high season, I’m just under the price for Boulder’s fanciest hotel with two queen beds – which is why I think I am always booked from May through early September. One room with two queen beds and one bathroom for $X at the hotel – or – a two-story townhome facing open space with two queen bedrooms, a bath and a half, a kitchen, living room, and three decks for $X- a little $. At slightly under the fancy hotel, I look like a bargain :slight_smile:

You are in a unique situation. You need a fancy economic equation to determine the exact price where people would not rent your island versus thinking – totally worth it. Obviously, I think it is underpriced :wink:

Aye Sandy. It is a beautiful match. First your place beats a hotel scene hands down, no ifs or buts about it, you make them look like they are no more than a ‘fancy barrack’. At the same time you use them as the ‘price rabbit’, staying just under them. I love good business! :sunglasses:

Thanks! First and foremost, I am a math head. My dad, granddad (from Scotland), and brother were all engineers. I, somehow, got that gene :slight_smile:

I hope so! :slight_smile: The occupancy/demand graph they show in a nose dive, but it hasn’t hit me. I’ve been booked almost every day and they keep trickling in every day for this month.

A ha! Now I see where you got your frugality which you once mentioned. (i.e. Scotland). :slight_smile:

Addendum: Is it my imagination that engineers tend to be meticulous, or is that an old wife’s tale?

You should not have to depend on AirBnB or other channels.
From the start, your goal should be to get independent of any channel.

Returning guests, and word of mouth are the best way to get new guests.

I guest every host has to go by their own ‘feel’, which no algorithm can duplicate.

I’m super detail oriented but not very organized. I would have been a perfect engineer! Yes, my Scottish roots must be why I watch my pennies. It just doesn’t make any sense to me to pay retail. So many better options in this world.

That reminded me of the ‘Odd Couple’ (the program). :slight_smile:

Too late in the night to go back very far but of the last 26 reservations, (to recap, I can sleep five), 1 guest – 1; 2 guests: 9 (this was a surprise to me); 3 guests – 7; 4 guests – 8; five guests – 1.

It would be a good exercise for the OP to research the stats on the average size of groups traveling and paying for accommodations for her city. I am starting to think that the “hostel” arrangement may not be of benefit. Better, maybe, to go with a queen and a fold out sofa that can sleep two (four in total).

(OMG – I shouldn’t be posting this late – I was referring to the OP in Japan with the two listings, one of which has two bunk beds with two cots. Sorry! Wrong post.)

I will copy and paste the pertinent information on the correct post :slight_smile:

92% of the time it has been 2-4 guests. I will do the same in the morning, be most interesting.

You should have seen my father’s sock drawer. Meticulous doesn’t begin to describe that engineer. Each of the houses he rebuilt were brilliant, utilizing every square inch to full capacity. I inherited his space gene, for which I am eternally grateful.

1 Like

@CatskillsGrrl thank you

1 Like