Warning about Instant Book - learning about "No Negative Review" Rule

In practice, the guest I cancelled on had a 1 star review recently, but showed an average rating of 3.5 stars (across a few reviews)

So I don’t think it’s about different types of rating, but the average across ratings

But agreed @Jefferson , the chances any given person from AirBnb support knows anything for certain isn’t great. Coordination and communication are not their strong suit.

1 Like

Where do you see the guest’s star ratings, leave alone how many 1stars and so on? I only see something like “N reviews” and the content of those N reviews, not star ratings like I can see for myself as a host. Or are you saying you know this because the Airbnb rep told you in this particular case?

Edit: Never mind; I can see it and momentarily completely forgot I have always been able to see it because my instant book settings work automatically.

Hmmmm. Well I have read it over several times now and it seems correct to me, though it is only mildly more clear than some Air policies or negatively worded review questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

@randomoid I can see it once they’re booked. So I saw it for him after he IB’d the house.

I can’t see details on inquiries before I preapprove and allow them to book.

Thanks, yes. I edited my question to admit a momentary lapse of reason. :slight_smile:

1 Like

One of my few cancellations was a woman with a 4 star average who instant booked for arrival that day. I literally leapt out of bed and went to my computer to investigate. At the time she had 16 reviews but numerous ones that made it clear I didn’t want to host her. Also, though she listed city back east as “home,” her picture was taken in my city and all her reviews were in my city. So she probably had multiple “will not host agains” at that point. I’ve checked her profile a few times since and she eventually moved on to Cali where she tormented multiple hosts. Her reviews were about 50-50 and no doubt many hosts simply didn’t review her. It amazed me that she was still able to find so many hosts who wouldn’t cancel on her.

4 Likes

@HostingPalmSprings do you know the answer? Did anyone post an answer? If yes I missed it

I just re-started IB after a rocky start 5 years ago. While better now, still may not be a good fit for me. There’s been a couple IBs that after communication, the guest decided to find another rental.

However If I can’t cancel penalty free 3x, I need to stop IB.

1 Like

Yes, it’s here:

So they didn’t want to use their 3rd on something that seemed to be their error.

BTW, it wasn’t limited to 3 per year but only 3 were done by the host without calling. I’d imagine if someone only booked 10 times a year and used all three cancellations annually, that would get their attention. OTOH, when I was booking 20 a month some months I wouldn’t think 4 or 5 cancellations would cause any problems.

1 Like

As far as I know, you still get the three times per year penalty free cancellation.

Just expected to use those for folks with negative reviews, as long as they have an average 3-star rating or better LOL.

1 Like

Agreed. Don’t forget about their suits lacking training and education :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I recall a thread here where a host described the behavior of a guest they’d just had and was asking for input on the review and ratings to give. The answers, all from experienced hosts here, ranged from 2 stars (Ugh, I’d never want guests like that) to 5 stars (Sounds normal to me, don’t see what they did wrong).

For that reason, I put zero stock in star ratings. They are completely subjective and I have no idea why a host left the rating they did.

1 Like

I have two listings and have not cancelled as uncomfortable in a couple years. I have hosted people with a single bad review and told them when they arrived, whatever you did in France don’t do that here. They were great guests. I do not look for reasons not to host people though.

RR

2 Likes

@RiverRock to each their own and I’m happy that’s working for you.

Maybe it’s because my listings are all remote (i.e., I don’t meet the guests in person), or because a few are 4+ bedrooms (large groups are harder to hold accountable), or, just because I’ve been burned really bad a couple of times, including some damage that required homeowners insurance, and a $25,000 claim, but at this point in my hosting life I’ve learned to “trust my gut” and not have my house trashed, rather than taking the risk.

Thanks all around for the feedback, empathy, and suggestions. I think it would be a pretty nice feature, if Airbnb allowed me to set the average review score that I would allow instant book above. If someone has 4.5*s, I don’t think I would decline them for one bad review, but the number of positive reviews they need to outweigh that bad review to me, is much better than a 3 * average. And of course, some transparency about this in the documentation would have been really nice too. LOL.

1 Like

Interesting, I’m probably too meek to warn like that, and to stray outside of automatically enforced Instant Book checks.

It was EZ, I was smiling the whole time. I did not ask for details or an excuse I just let them know I knew and expected better. They got a 5 star from me.

RR

1 Like

Whoa, is it just by request or can any host do it online? Pray tell how?

1 Like

He was expressing wishful thinking there was an “if” before the sentiment.
Air elicits so many Ifs and I wish’s

1 Like

Oops, sorry, read too fast. On phone with Airbnb rep now telling him my friend was able to do it even as he’s saying he is not aware of that option but he’s “investigating”. :slight_smile:

Edit: No luck, unsurprisingly.

2 Likes

I would be very scared to allow 3 star and zero reviews guests to stay . Just like guest would too if host have zero reviews they will also not book .

1 Like

What a strange thing to say. Plenty of guests book new listings with no reviews yet.

All hosts start out with zero reviews, just like all guests do. If no one ever booked a place with zero reviews, there would be zero hosts. And if no host ever accepted a new guest with zero reviews, there would be no guests.
Airbnb wouldn’t exist.

3 Likes