Waiting until review period ends to address issues?

@Cindy_Turner_Dodd this had been the case when I first started in 2016 that they didn’t abide by my minimum but they have been so far this year. I keep very close tabs on it to be sure.

The Price Tips do act as you say and I NEVER follow them. They may also say that someone else booked a similar place for $1 less so I would lower my price $19…nope. I usually raise it.

There’s a lot of text on this thread so I’ll get right to it. So far I have a 100% success rate. I just bring up the issue in some manner with the guest before the next guest checks in. Let’s say the next guest is checking right away and my guest hasn’t written a review yet. I say
“Hey guest, what happened in the kitchen?”
They say
“IDK it was fine when I left.”
I say
“Ok, thanks for staying with me have a nice day.”

I let them leave their review, or not and then I make my resolution center case if necessary with all my evidence. The pictures, receipts, etc do all the talking. There’s no reason to hash it out through nasty messages or angry phone calls. Because I brought up my issue with the guest before the next guest checked in, I am covered under the host guarantee policy. I don’t have to actually make the resolution center claim before the next guest checks in. Know the difference though! Read the host guarantee plan carefully so you know what is and isn’t guaranteed.

1 Like

@Mexican So they honor your claim 100% even though it is submitted after the review period, and thus after the next guest and after the 14 day period?

Don’t wait for reviews. Document rule violations on platform as they happen. It doesn’t have to be unpleasant, but don’t let it go. Review time is too late.

Yes. Just like the host guarantee plan says they will. I have very few resolution center claims and they are usually very small. I’ve never had one over $20 I think. They always say something to the effect of “Since this is a small amount and since its been so long since you’ve made a resolution center claim, we’ve decided to approve this.” I don’t see anything in the host guarantee plan T&C about how much I’m claiming or how often so I think that should be irrelevant. I think if a guest actually did over $100 of damage, I’d take it a little more seriously and if a guest did $500 or more of damage, I’d take it very seriously. I don’t want to risk my ability to get $500 of damage paid for by claiming little things here and there so like I said, I only make a claim when I can prove it and it counts.

If they are continuing to break house rules such as smoking, pets etc after you had given them a warning, personally I would ask Airbnb to cancel their bookings.

@Mexican so you are only talking about damages vice fines for rule breaking? I suppose that is the difference. Although more and more I am having success when providing proof from cameras.

@Helsi I don’t give warnings. I charge for all infractions. Most of the time though I don’t know if the infractions until after they have checked out.

So, @Mexican and others who wait until after review period is over to make claims, I understand you wait until after the review period is over so the guest doesn’t change their review based on being held accountable but how do you address the issues in your reviews, or don’t you, or do you not review?

I still leave an honest review and state the facts of what happened minus the outcome of the Airbnb resolution center. The review is for other hosts and not for me. The resolution center request was for me. I’d like to think at some point that after enough bad reviews, the bad guests will be weeded out and all that will be left is wonderful guests. That’s probably just a fantasy though.