VRBO - I approved an RTB - now they don't like the accommodation šŸ¤Ø

A few times these types of guests who inquire but then take a some weeks to decide did have the courtesy to let us know that it will take some time for them to confirm the dates and to get back to us later which I consider respectful. These guests have more awareness as far as I can tell and it shows in the communication with them.

I get boat inquiries from time to time because we are right on the water with a dock and ocean access.

Definitely no boats! (Although in our case they mean larger than paddleboards or kayaks).

Our insurance company and the HOA would explode with fury if we allowed overnight boat mooring or anything longer than a few minutes.

I donā€™t mind guests being dropped off or picked up by boat but we donā€™t have the facilities for any longer time period. The insurance repercussions are scary.

I have an ā€˜experienceā€™ lady who will bring kayaks or paddleboards to our location, train the guests on their use and take them on a local tour.

She is licensed and insured, and I have just effected the meeting. No responsibility. The best way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the type of ā€˜boatsā€™ they use for the course close by.

Anything bigger would be impossible to store in our garage which we offered to the potential guest.

As it happens so often, I only hear crickets after answering to the inquiry. Itā€™s something Iā€™m getting used to, in general, but if guests have somewhat special requests Iā€™d (wrongly) assume that they put in a little more effort in communicating with potential hosts to clarify everything up front.

1 Like

Here, in one of the many places that sells itself as the ā€˜Venice of Americaā€™ mooring a boat overnight is a costly business.

Renting a mooring for a liveaboard can cost the same as a nice apartment.

So there are guests who think they might get a deal if they rent an apartment here for a few days with a 'free docking space.

Umā€¦ no.

Iā€™m not sure if weā€™re talking about the same situation.

The guests can carry their Whitewater Kayak (finally found the correct term - they called them boats). No need for mooring or a docking space.

Anywho, guest still hasnā€™t responded anyway.

Maybe itā€™s the opposite- if they have some special request, they may send out multiple inquiries to several hosts and book the one that best suits their wants or needs. And then not bother to get back to the other hosts.

Personally I think it says a lot about someone when they donā€™t have the manners to at least reply to a hostā€™s return message with a ā€œThank you for your response and time. We are still trying to decide between a few options.ā€ How long does that take, 1 minute?

I think a lot of guests donā€™t have any concept that the average host, especially on-site and small time hosts with only one or two listings, are actually wanting and waiting to hear back from the guest. Or any appreciation for a host quickly and thoroughly replying to an inquiry question. We are just some faceless entities who run a rental business.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think that itā€™s the opposite - at least to me thatā€™s exactly how I meant it.

Iā€™m not oblivious to the fact that they are reaching out to multiple hosts and as you said Iā€™d appreciate them responding just out of respect but thatā€™s obviously too much to ask for these days.

You put it nicely, ā€˜faceless entitiesā€™ā€¦