Varying Cancellation Policies

We have a Moderate Cancellation Policy at the moment, but it is really hurting us for peak-season reservations over Christmas/New Year and Holy Week.

Experts: is there any way to apply a Strict policy to specific dates?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Is there any reason you don’t use “strict” for all dates? I have strict and I am almost constantly booked (and my rates are on the higher end for my area). Doesn’t seem to hurt me to be “strict”.

Thank you for your response, Sandy. We only listed 3 months but have been full for two solid months and have 14 5-star reviews. I did think the strict policy would drive people away but, based on our performance so far, do you think it’s time to “go strict?”

Also, do you know whether, if we change the policy now, it will automatically apply to guests who have already booked under the Moderate policy?

I don’t have a clue about it becoming retroactive – I doubt it, as that is not what the guests originally agreed to. However, YES, go to strict cancellation. As I posted elsewhere, it won’t help you if a guest claims they are sick even one day before their reservation (happened to me, happened to a lot of people) as Air will side with the guest, refund them all of their money, and you will get nothing – and there is nothing you can do about it. However, most guests really want to have their trip, In almost two years, that has happened to me only once. I have had guests cancel and ask if they could get a refund. What I have told them is if I can rebook any or all the cancelled dates, I will give them a refund according to how many dates I was able to rebook. I have done this a couple of times.

1 Like