Vaccine roll out in the UK

So, it begins. Care home residents in England and front line medical staff in Scotland.

Here in Spain we’ve been told it’ll be January before our program starts, and it’s not dissimilar to the UK in respect of priority.

We might get ours around April, 2022 :rofl:

Press outside the US reporting that you (as a country) knocked back an offer from Pfizer for additional vaccine doses. Not good methinks.

Anyway, maybe us folks in Europe can look at having a different summer season in 2021 than the one just gone.

Chink of light at the end of the tunnel maybe…

JF

6 Likes

Dr. Fauci is as cautious as they come and he’s said he thinks US could have fans in attendance at football games next fall. With people acclimated to outdoor dining, masking, distancing on top of vaccine roll out I expect next summer will be pretty busy.

Let’s all just hope that our hospitals are the opposite. While it’s been demonstrated that the vaccine works under controlled conditions, the efficacy of it out there in the wild wild communities has yet to be seen.

But I’m a glass three quarters full person, even when it’s actually two thirds empty :wink: so here’s hoping.

JF

2 Likes

The first batch of doses will arrive in Anchorage, the only Alaska site that has superfreezers, within 2 days of emergency approval. It will be targeted at medical providers and senior care facilities.

Once that group is done, then they’ll be focusing on older folks in urban areas. Then they will be working with the Air National Guard, to vaccinate villagers right at the village airports, flying from one village to the next. Obviously to make it work they will vaccinate entire villages.

I expect that here in Southeast we will get some of the first batch of the Moderna vaccine, which appears to be better suited for our medium and small towns here, which have daily jet transports, thanks to the mail service.

I don’t expect to be vaccinated before April or May, even being over 70. Even so, I’m going to be cautious. Will I accept only vaccinated folks? Will we have vaccination certificates (many in the hospitality industry would like that)? I think certs will be necessary for the travel industry, as well as tests, for a year or two.

Even more than being able to open (and I really need the time for maintenance and improvements) I’m just looking forward to being able to have a few friends over for dinner.

1 Like

I feel the same way - awaiting the initial “in the wild” vax results and even though older and higher risk, will wait. I don’t have a problem with vax certificates as I still have my smallpox certificate in my first passport so I could go to London in 1973. I don’t see requiring Visa certificates as an issue and will cheerfully book anyone with proof of vaccination.

We did and the EU bought them (in today’s NYTimes). https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/07/us/trump-covid-vaccine-pfizer.html

Yes its bad that Dt turned down those millions of shots, because they do take a while to make, like until May :frowning: but it seems somehow that Cali is in line to get some<><>

“The governor said Monday he anticipates a total of 2.16 million doses to arrive before the end of the year, with millions more expected in January and February. Those initial doses will be followed by the second doses needed for immunity within three weeks, Health Secretary Mark Ghaly explained.”

That’s interesting thinking of Alaska, how they plan to vaccinate whole villages. Its sensible! I doubt if that approach would work in more mobile communities, unfortunately.

1 Like

That would be Trump and his sycophants, trying to do as much damage as possible before getting hauled out the door. He’s already shown how little he cares about people dying.

1 Like

He probably preferred to spend the money into his own pocket…

You have to understand a huge majority of the population is located along the rail and road belt from Kenai to Anchnorage and up through Wasilla, but we also have 127 communities with population <1000, and only about 20 of them are on the road system. Another 20 are served by the state owned ferry system.
Of the rest, those that are on the ocean or a major river might get one or 2 barge deliveries during summers, and get once or twice weekly air taxi/mail plane trips with small planes.

Villages have a health center, usually staffed only by a health aide, unless they are lucky enough to have a resident that is a nurse, and more than triage and basic care is satellite telemedicine and/or air medevac — if weather allows. Travel is either by air or boat, if the community is on the coast or a river.

Some coastal villages depend on commercial fishing for their main economy. Almost all small communities are highly dependent on fish and game resources for subsistence. In some villages, the only cash jobs are running local utilities — electrical service, water and sewer (not all villages have them), and at the local school. You have to have 10 students to qualify for a school.

Everything in most villages centers around the school, because it has rooms for meetings, a gymnasium (basketball is THE sport here), and showers. Housing is a problem in many villages, and school district housing is the biggest reasons teacher turnover is high.

So it makes sense to get your 357 village residents lined up and waiting at the airport when the vaccine plane or helicopter lands.

You have to also understand that about 70% of the adults in one region died in the 1919 epidemic, sending hundreds of Unungan and Yup’ik children to orphanages where the trauma continued, creating at least 2 generations of people who were lost in both worlds. They have been very proactive at keeping strangers out of their villages this past year, and at observing health rules. Unfortunately the crowded multigenerational housing in those communities make it hard to isolate the infected so it spreads very quickly.

3 Likes