Using a key card switch to control electricity usage

It happens quite frequently, especially with the chinese stuff people order to replace their lost chargers.
This is one of the reasons most hotels have these systems, they are forced by their insurance policy.

Not really surprising since most people here are not pro’s.
How many here have a complete fire alarm system installed? How many here have fire protection doors?

Quite frequently ? Quite frequently in the same way people are quite frequently involved in an airplane crash? Quite frequently means it should at least have happened to me in my lifetime… or that I should know of it happening to someone. No on both counts.

What does having a device to monitor electricity usage have to do with having fire doors in your property? I’m struggling a bit to see the link…

1 Like

Hi @Chris,

That’s news to me. I thought they were purely energy saving / cost cutting measures. The costs for hotels of people leaving A/C, lights etc. on all the time must be enormous, especially in places where electricity is expensive.

Some of the people here host professionally or semi-professionally.

I certainly don’t have a fire alarm system, complete and otherwise. What constitutes a complete alarm system?

And fire doors must be a rarity in a home. I’m not aware of it being an requirement even in the most exacting house codes.

1 Like

I am down the wrong end of the age range and have 2 battery back ups, one I use for my Phone and a slightly bigger one that I can use if needed to jump start my car. Still not very big.

Where I am with a weak signal draining the battery, pretty essential, and very handy.

Judging by my collection of left chargers most guests have them and use them, I was not aware that Hotels usually cut the power when you left a room, never happened to me and yes I have left things on charge in my room, why wouldn’t you? Think I have 4 things on charge at the moment, 2 phones, one watch and one laptop.

I have a key card entry system which also works the electricity in the house, I also have an alarm security system.
The guests get two keys and yes I have had the problem with guests leaving one key in with the air con running all day
and use the other card to get in and out.

Then i solved the problem, I tell guests that the act of putting the key in the slot DISABLES the security system for the whole house, nobody has left the key in the slot when they are out since as the electric bills have shown.

1 Like

I’m glad that works for you, but most of my guests aren’t particularly conscious about security. My current guests have never locked the front door, sometimes they don’t even close it. Interestingly, they do lock the guest room door when they leave.

Has anyone implemented this power-only-if-card-in-slot setup for a shared flat arrangement? I.e, the slot is outside the guest room and only the electrics there are isolated by this.

Perhaps an overkill, and the above discussion only matters to a full rental setup, but I’m curious.

I’ve researched it, but have been unable to find anyone who offers this product so far. If I do implement this at some point down the road, I’ll try to remember to update this thread.

I did put in an electric meter for the guest room, which I think it worth doing. If the guests leave the A/C running and leave, you’ll know about it.

P.S. Actually, the product I couldn’t find was the key switch variant. I think the card version would be easier to find - I think I did find someone who was offering it.

1 Like

Actually I was considering investing in a smart kit that switches off the ac after a period of time if there is no movement in the room. You can set it to switch off the ac if the window or door is open. The brand is Xiaomi, you can buy their products off Aliexpress.

I don’t see how this would work, since the A/C would switch off if the people inside were asleep. And this isn’t the topic of this thread, anyway.

2 Likes

@faheem is correct. When I used to work in offices they had sensors that would turn off the lights if you didn’t move for ten minutes. When I was alone working late this meant I had to wave my arms around every ten minutes when the lights turned off.

1 Like

This happens in some loos too!