Unsolved mystery

I have had three guests because they love my living room with tons of books. Draws a very nice kind of guest actually.

2 Likes

I would love to do that, people love theme rooms. Hell I love theme rooms, Iā€™ve payed mega dollars to stay in the one at West Edmonton Mall. Maybe this is where Iā€™m going wrong.

See,THATā€™S what itā€™s all about! And thatā€™s how you get good guests that are a fit. I shrug when I see all this stuff about how to take nice photos, make sure you have a colourful cushion placed somewhere, have a snappy catchy headline etc etc. Your place is your place, if you try to make it something else, probably people will be disappointed. I like places that show exactly what they are and give a full flavour of what to expect. If I want an Ikea furnished appartment, I donā€™t need Airbnb for that. Just my opinion!

2 Likes

My unique draw is that I board dogs here so dog lovers book my place at times. I used to have a picture of the book wall but never had any indication that it got me more bookings. I have overnighters so I donā€™t think books are as big a draw as dog therapy.

@mearns @KKC @Magwitch

Ok, hereā€™s the link to the library listingā€¦what do you think?

Love it. Character, books, loads of plants and greenery, my kind of place! Some of your photos are skewed, by the way.

@Magwitch, this is not my listing, itā€™s just an interesting listing that I found and that is one of the most popular airbnb listings in Miami,

Itā€™s inexpensive and the host seems like exactly what Airbnb wants to be in the ads. Sheā€™s hosted hundreds of people and the decor and vibe of her place and her persona is ā€œmuy simpĆ”ticoā€. It might not be my first choice but I can see why people choose it. It looks like it would be like staying with your tia or abuelita. Itā€™s definitely not ā€œcookie cutter.ā€

Ok, sorry! I wasnā€™t paying attention.

Why so snooty :frowning: ? This is the reason I will never ever share my listing on here. You guys are very harsh. This host has hundreds of reviews from guests who love it there. She is very successful. Iā€™m not a superhost like her but I too have hundreds of happy reviews for my humble. place. Please donā€™t look down on us.

What?! I love this listing! WTF![quote=ā€œMagwitch, post:70, topic:7015ā€]
Why so snooty :frowning: ?
[/quote]

Sorry if I misunderstood. I read it as you being dismissive of the place.It was probably the ā€˜what Airbnb wants in the adsā€™ comment. I automatically read that as negative!

No, I actually like those ā€˜live thereā€™ ads and the whole corporate vibe of ABB. I realize itā€™s probably complete BS but I wish all ABB listings were like Maria Luisaā€™s and that no hotels or slumlords were allowed to list. As for me not choosing it for myself, Iā€™m just not sure I want to share the bathroom with other people in the house. I think it is really cool and authentic Cuban-American. Many hispanic families here in my border town (on the border with Mexico) have similar decor.

1 Like

OK, yes I feel the same generally. I do baulk at the airbnb advertising, though, and I get the impression that most experienced hosts are very cynical about it. Hence my interpretation of your comment! I have never been to Cuba or Mexico so Iā€™m not familiar with the decor. And yes, shared bathroom is a special kind of experience I can tell you. Sigh.

1 Like

That library drips with character. Raquel, what I meant by ā€˜themeā€™ is that it has ambience. My sister is a topnotch interior decorator in Florida, she does this for a living; I am going to drag her to Belize in September and giving my island a ā€˜castawayā€™ theme! :sunglasses:

@mearns, Fred, how cool that your sister will be helping you add some ā€œcharacterā€ to your place! In my own personal space, I like a minimalist look that, alas, I donā€™t presently have. I lived almost full-time in non-descript hotel rooms for over a year (business reason) and actually enjoyed the less is more look. I also lived in ā€œcorporate housingā€ for a year with no dĆ©cor at all, bland and monastic, and enjoyed it. Iā€™m a simple person!

Hereā€™s one I saw that was on a potential guestsā€™ wishlist:

I love the floor to ceiling bookshelves and the spiral staircase.

Interesting rules. Extra fee for single night bookings. Four nights required during holiday periods. Clearly, he could never be an IB host. I would love to have something along the lines of a bit more per night for short stays, but since I am forced to use IB, not sure how I could manage different rates for different types of stays.

Library bedrooms, yes please! :grinning: Iā€™d love for my rooms to have more character, or a ā€˜themeā€™ā€¦ theyā€™re very genericā€¦ I wonder if I could raise my prices if I made a Harry Potter bedroom, ha ha

1 Like

@Mearns, @Natalie, @KKC, @Sarah_Warren, @Magwitch, @hypertokyo, @anon67190644, @SuiteRetreat
As you may recall, I recently posted about the mystery of my two apartments, located in the same building but apartment A was getting substantially more views and more bookings as compared to my other apartment B.
You generously took the time to view both listings and provide your feedback. Based on your feedback I made small changes (sorry, I didnā€™t get to paint walls or do anything significant) and had new photos taken of apartment B. Iā€™m wondering if you find apartment B more appealing now, and if I have added enough photos. Thank you!

apartment B