Unlocked achievement in the hosting game, leveling up

Excuse my silly thread title. Our last guests were gamers, and we got to hear a whole lot of gaming lingo at loud volumes, which brought back memories (not really that long ago) of being the mom of 4 teen boys and having all their friends over for game nights.

Anyhow-- back to my great achievement. I unblocked a severely backed up toilet, all by myself. I have had amazing luck as a host for almost 5 years now, because this is the first time I’ve been faced with that task. There’s been the odd time or two when I assume that a guest dealt with a slight blockage because I see the plunger has been retrieved from the cupboard under the sink, and I sanitize it and give extra attention to toilet surroundings to be sure all is sparkling clean. But this time, apparently it was a matter requiring determination and skill. The chagrined gamer guest sent a check-out message apologizing for the state it was in, and frankly, apologies were called for.

So, I fortified myself by watching several YouTube videos, donned rubber gloves, gave it 3 rounds of the hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid poured from a bucket method, which made some progress, then plunged which helped some more but not quite enough, then resorted to the drain snake, and yup-- somebody flushed a pad.

Super gross way to spend my day, but such is the life of a host. And while it was very unpleasant, I frankly can’t ding my last guest. He did communicate appropriately, and I can’t prove that he or his visitors were responsible for the flushed sanitary product (though probably. . . )

Anyhow, if this was an inane video game, I feel sure that I just leveled up and unlocked some powers. Or got a badge. Or something. I think I’m treating myself to a long hot shower followed by a relaxing glass of wine in the rose garden.

12 Likes

Good work!

I’d say you just defeated the first “big boss” in the game. It may have been with the help of “spoilers” (youtube), but you’re now ready for the next level!

I wonder what the big boss at the end of Level 2 will be?? :slight_smile:

I have been similarly proud of myself for figuring out how to repair something by watching youtube videos and reading up on it. You can learn how to do almost any household fix-it job that way these days, it’s just a matter of having the right tools, the interest, patience, and time.

My dad was a mechanical engineer and could fix pretty much anything. I can’t recall a technician ever coming to our house to fix anything the entire time I was growing up, nor any of our cars ever being at the mechanic’s.

When his fave armchair started to look pretty ratty, long before the days of the internet, he went to the library, checked out a bunch of books on upholstery, bought some upholstery needles and supplies, and recovered it himself. Did a darn good job, too.

1 Like

They better give you a five star review and leave you a nice bottle of wine!

Totally ok on missing out on the big boss of level 2. Lol.

Same here. My parents really instilled in all of us the assumption that we can do anything if we put our minds to it. I really value Youtube for making it easier to access the information rapidly. I used to go to the library with a stack of note cards with all the questions and researches I’d accumulated in a week. When I tell my kids that, they hear what I say, but they do not understand.

No sign of wine, since they checked out. And I’m not sure what to expect about a review. I had to call them after 11 pm to tell them to use inside voices, which they were polite about and did quiet down. But sometimes hosts who actually enforce a house rule get lower stars. Sigh.

1 Like

Way to go on the home repairs!!! I’m not that far along yet.

Level 2 is the basement sewer cleanout. I’ve owned four properties in my life and had no idea such a thing existed. I’m educated on it now, thanks to a very nice plumber.

FYI, if you only have guests on the weekends or your place stands vacant for several days, run water down the tub drain for about a half an hour every week. It helps the flushed microfiber cloths in their way to the street.

Apparently, there are a lot of young folks these days who don’t even know how to change a light bulb, no joke. There’s a series of videos, I think they are from the Jimmy Kimmel show, where they have some set up on the street and ask passersby to see if they can do whatever task it is. You should watch the one where they ask people to open a paint can. There is a paint can, and a bunch of tools on the table- a pair of vice grips, a hammer, a screwdriver, a couple other things. It’s pitiful to watch how some of these 20 and 30 somethings can’t even figure out how to pry off the lid of a paint can.

2 Likes