Uninvited guests?

I’m renting a private room to a travel nurse who drinks a lot. This week is his week off. The drunken night travel nurse had rented a hotel room for the last two nights and just came back from it two days ago but has since been hiding in his room. I usually am awakened when he comes up to eat at about 3 AM because of the light pouring through the bottom of my door. However, this time, I heard a woman’s voice talking to him. I’ve already gotten my home surveillance cam in the mail that I need to install with a drill, is there anything else I should be doing? And when do you charge the person for an extra guest that you were never aware of?

Why not go out of your room, knock on his door, and ask? The guest you were never aware of does not belong in your home. Give him a choice. She can leave, or you will charge him for the extra person. Also make sure you document it all by telling him the same thing on the Airbnb message system. If the problem persists, call Airbnb.

If you are being affected by your guests drunken behaviour - have you spoken to him about it and documented it through Airbnb.

What does your listing/house rules say about not having guests in the property who haven’t booked?

I agree, when you were woken up and heard a woman’s voice, why didn’t you speak to the guest there and then? (By the way why not have something against your door if you are woken up by light in communal areas or change the light bulb for a lower wattage).

Are you happy for him to have strangers stay in your home? If not speak to him about it and say if it happens again you will need to ask him to leave and follow this up through Airbnb messaging.

I rent my whole house and I ask that no one not included on the rental agreement be invited onto the property without my permission ahead of time. In a shared situation that would be entirely forbidden.

I understand not wanting to make things awkward between you and guest, who I assume is a repeat visitor, but you need to set boundaries. No guests.

Also, FYI but that camera needs to be external only … not inside the house. In many localities that is illegal without the express permission of the guest. And I let me guests know about all external cameras, too. It is not about catching, but deterring.

2 Likes

Yeah, extra guests are a big no no. How long is he booked with you? Hopefully not too long

I can understand you not wanting to come out of your room at 3AM to confront someone who has been drinking.

I would send him something via email so there is a message trail. Or, when he is sober have a talk but back it up with the email “per our conversation…” If you don’t allow guests, tell him next time he will need to leave.

If you do allow guests but there is an extra charge tell him he needs to register that guest ahead of time. If not, it will an extra fee. For me, I charge twice the rate for an unregistered guest to encourage them to make sure they register ahead of time.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the input. I did talk to him and documented it on airbnb. He’s only here until July 10th. Oddly, I did find a full Coors bottle in my kitchen with a bunch of empty Bud cans when I came back from work. He claimed it wasn’t his since he doesn’t drunk Coors and I’m pretty sure the other girl didn’t have anything to do with it, especially since I was here the whole time she was moving out. I have a bad feeling he had some sort of party of some sort. How do I prove it or do anything about it? Nothing’s damaged… not sure if anything is missing. He also told me while drunk that he masturbates everyday to focus better at work… do you do anything special with the bedding for those cases?

I did get a doorbell security cam so that I can track if anyone is stealing my mail and who leaves and comes into my house, but it won’t be delivered until after he’s left (got it on Amazon)

Why would you say that to your host - gross .

To be honest I would have asked Airbnb to cancel the booking when you first had issues as the guest’s behaviour made you uncomfortable - particularly as he is a long term guest. What did he say about bringing in a guest who didn’t book or stay?

Why by the way are you letting him continue to stay?

I’m continuing to let him stay because I have no proof that he broke any rules in my house manual, even though there are clues. I’m new to this so I’m uncertain when it is acceptable to call airbnb to kick them out of my house since I’ve been forewarned that the local police department won’t do anything about airbnb guests.

I just hope he leaves when he’s scheduled to. How long was the total booking?

If you really feel like you need him out of the place, you could:
Wait until he leaves for work in the morning. Then change the locks and carefully pack up his belongings. Take photos of this process.

Notify Air what you are doing in the AM after he leaves, so they can help him find a new place. Let him know as soon as the locks are changed, so he has time to sort things out.

Give him a time frame when he can pick up his stuff on the porch, if you think they would be safe. If not, maybe you could drop it at his workplace.

The main point is once you’ve decided he’s out, and once you tell him, you need to make sure he can’ get back into the house.

If Air trys to convince you to let him stay, tell them about the drunkenness and the comments about masturbation. Say that you, as a single woman, are “uncomfortable with him in your house.”

2 Likes

You said you heard a guest who hadn’t booked and paid in his room and that you have a house rule that no guests should stay overnight who hadn’t booked.

Surely grounds for cancellation?

1 Like