Unhappy Guests Make Things Difficult

You can leave a public response to their review. Just say something polite like, I hope you enjoyed your stay overall, it looked like you spent a lot of time enjoying the great outdoors around the cabin, I’m sorry you didn’t realise that the food in the cabin is emergency supplies for out guests in case they get caught short on groceries. I’ll make sure I add that to the check-in information so future guests don’t have this problem

1 Like

I would say close it down but I’m bias; don’t like hunting. I can’t imagine how long it took to clean that muddy mess. Send them a request for an extra cleaning fee.

@trophycabin - I’m still a relative newbie (been a host almost 2 years now) and it used to bother me so much when I got the slightest hint of disappointment. Silly as it sounds, my third review was good but in the private comments they put “size of house” and that STILL bugs me! What did they mean?!? Haha

It is never pleasant but it does get easier. Just take it with a grain of salt, use any insights you get, be proud of your house and accomplishments, and hang in there (if you choose) :muscle:

1 Like

I understand how you feel when you go overboard to supply what guests need and they still complain. I do believe you are probably being overly sensitive to the review. It is so funny, but if you look at Amazon reviews, some people give a product 5 stars and say it is the greatest product ever made and another review might say that the product is a piece of crap. You have to take it in stride and learn from it, make adjustments and move on. I thought the idea of only leaving food items in the cabinet that were unopened and unexpired was a sound idea. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Why not leave a welcome message telling the guests that the food is complimentary BUT if the items are opened then I would as a guest be annoyed.

This happened once when I was renting an Airbnb. Personally I thought it was gross. I was cooking a thanksgiving meal at another location but purchased the food and had very little space to store in the fridge.

As a host who also guests, I was impressed by how a host, completely eclipsed a poor review with a kind,detailed and conscientious response. I have just booked his place despite this stinging review.

Guest: a hair on the bedsheet and bed was not comfortable, dust in a corner, tub grout dingy…and several more complaints along these lines.

Host: “genuinely” sorry, thanks for her helpful comments, says he talked to his usually meticulous cleaner, bought a new mattress, re-grouted the tub, etc. He addressed each concern, probably to the amusement of other potential guests like me. His property is an excellent value in a top location on Hawaii. Most of us busy beach goers are probably not looking for dust in the corner or worried about his sandy beach chairs?!

Anyway, his review revealed far more about her pettiness than her review did about his property’s shortcomings. I’m inspired, and will follow his lead!

3 Likes

Also… if they left a mess that cannot be cleaned through normal processes, and you must replace anything because it was damaged or destroyed, you can also open the Airbnb Resolution Center App and make a claim for damages. Be prepared to post the request with pictures of the damages and receipts. There are certain restrictions, so be sure to read the rules.