Unfairly targeted by neighbors - always blame the Airbnb

I am a host with property 3 miles away. The rental property is flanked by properties with trash all over the yard, a broken down car (no hood, engine, tires, etc), dumpster in the driveway for 4 years, ya da ya da. My own home is flanked by 2 Airbnb’s and I love it. The places are in the best shape, and the occupants are only here with half the number of vehicles and half the number of days occupied. And no hobbies or animals. It is my favorite!!
We have a few residents in our area who have recently tried to pass legislation to basically ban STR. Bill was removed, for now. They claim rapists, pedofiles, and drug dealers will constantly be renting in our area via STR and will ruin everything. Haha. Or those same folks could just BUY the house next to yours or rent long term. All so illogical to vilify STR. I have heard several of the complainants speak I’ll of the hosts in terms that appear they are jealous of the monies hosts are earning. They clearly do not know the actual work involved. I look forward to a time when people start thinking for themselves again and stop buying all the fear being sold.

3 Likes

Our family has a home in an area that had a long term tenant. After 2 years, we had to evict him because he stopped paying rent for many months. After the long and costly eviction, we discovered the entire home was covered in a urine smell, brand new carpet completely ruined (he had a large dog that clearly defecated inside the house often), as well as a destroyed lawn. There are stains so deeply imbedded the only thing we can possibly do is rip everything out and start new. This will cost us between 12K-15K. So basically any income made from this was entirely voided. We are now hoping to fix up and sell as soon as possible.

One thing I learned from my first landlords, who were diligent about ensuring that their properties were in good shape, was that the lease required a quarterly plumbing and electrical inspection. It required tenants to empty out spaces under sinks, and access to view all electrical connections. Problems like this would have been noticed during those inspections.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the only long term management companies available in this area aren’t good. Another homeowner used the same one my family did (prior to my husband and I taking over the portfolio) and they eventually ended up selling as well due to poor management. :frowning:

omg @Joan what an absolute nightmare :frowning: It makes me even more grateful for my wonderful neighbours.

On topic: There’s no getting away from the fact that STRs are truly destroying some neighbourhoods. Tourism is ravaging some fragile areas as well. It’s not surprising that people are pissed off. I have a friend who lives in a traditional tenement building (apartment block) and she is sandwiched between two STRs. She doesn’t know who owns the flats, they’ve never introduced themselves, she just has to deal with random strangers shouting on the stair, dragging luggage up and down at all times of day and night, flicking cigarette butts on the entrance etc etc.

Yes, they are “bad hosts”. Probably an agency with multiple properties. Or maybe an inconsiderate individual. It doesn’t matter - this stuff impacts on peoples’ lives hugely.

Opposition is not going away, there are too many unscrupulous hosts/landlords/agencies around.

2 Likes