Uncomfortable with guest

Update == It’s Friday night and our guest has gone. He left early, it appears. He didn’t say goodbye and here’s no note but the bed is stripped. My husband and I were friendly to him whenever we saw him awake but I know he was very depressed and on drugs for pain (which are also depressants). He apparently came here to convalesce but never told us that. We are not new hosts, we’ve had scores of guests and love hosting! But this was unsettling.

I’m not going to review him.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone.
Rachael

3 Likes

It’s common for suicidal people to go to hotels and the like to commit suicide. We had a family member who DID commit suicide. If you even suspect someone is suicidal you owe it to yourself to report it to Airbnb for your peace of mind and his safety. I’m glad for you he is leaving but he may be just doing a test run before he does harm himself. Best wishes.

2 Likes

It’s so hard to know whether someone is suicidal. My husband is a psychologist and he didn’t feel that this man was likely to commit suicide. He was extremely depressed. It was hard to be a host with the guest who wants to grieve and it’s on heavy medication. We got through it and he’s back in his apartment now and I sent him a note wishing him the best. He did tell us he has a therapist, if feels good to know he can get help there. Thank you for your advice.