"Uncomfortable" with booking request. Update -

Air is just letting them send a message. As long as you reply within the time limit, it won’t affect your stats. And of course your reply will say “As stated in our listing, we don’t book stays longer than 7 nights, and we don’t offer discounts.”

1 Like

Muddy, thank you. This is actually helpful info that you provided. I agree that my wording could have better and I like your suggestions. I even think changing the word “policy” to “we typically don’t book” to someone w/o past reviews but if you can tell me a little about yourself that would be helpful”. In 3 yrs of doing this I’ve only declined a request 1x. In this current case she retracted. I do believe it is my right not to book someone if I’m not comfortable w them and who refuses to disclose a little intro when asked actually asked twice. Isn’t that the question on the Airbnb form when requesting to book? Yes, we all have to start somewhere which is what this person will need to do. Along the way she will also have to to learn the best way to communicate politely with a potential host and build up reviews that way. I know we all have to.

We get about 25% requests with one or fewer reviews. We do not have IB. Our 1st note to everyone is:

Hi AIRBNB GUEST,

We would be happy to have you come stay. Thank you for choosing the Tiny Tiki Retro Hideaway:) You will love it here!

Do you have any more questions??

Please share a little about yourself, your travel companion or your trip:)

Please take the time to read all of the listing, including rules and cancellation policy. No open flames of any kind, such as grills or candles. No Smoking allowed anywhere on the property or in our neighborhood, due to extreme fire danger. Vaping ok outside only. No parties, No dogs or other pets… + more of course…

My next message to them is that I can confirm them shortly if they have read all. Sometimes I confirm their stay even if no further responses, due to they probably gave enough info in their 1st note.

400 bookings mostly young couples, only 1 rotten apple in the lot. I guess I have more trust than others, or control fears and paranoid ideas better. It seems like for us the inquiries are far more iffy than those committed to come here via their request. I can’t think of many inquiries that became requests off hand , maybe a few.

our settings: Guest requirements

All guests are required to follow Airbnb standard requirements, which includes confirmed phone number, email address, payment information, and agreement to your house rules.

Profile photo required

If you turn on this requirement, you’ll be able to see guests’ profile photos after a booking is confirmed, but not before.

My elephant is trained to stomp on bad guests!

3 Likes

Absolutely, if they are not forthcoming or seem resentful after some friendly prompting, they are likely not goimg to be great guests. I’ve never had that happen- the few that think, “Arriving around noon”, when you haven’t even accepted their booking yet, is adequate communication, have written a more informative message when I prompt them.
For some reason, the majority of guests who send me requests seem to have had several good reviews- some have had a page full. Although I have had a few with no reviews, they actually had accounts dating back a few years, and there were legit reasons why they didn’t have reviews. I think I’ve only ever had one total newbie.

Yes, I think there’s something for guests when they send a request re communication with the host, but guests tend to ignore things like that.

I homeshare, so I’m not as wary and cautious as off-site hosts might feel the need to be.

Wish I was as smart as you! Woman stated she’s been at hundreds of Air BnB’s, no reviews. I let her stay and am at over $10k worth of damage :frowning:

1 Like

Do you put guest requirements in your intial rules?

So how does the 2nd person- the guest is bringing play into this? If someone books and its a couple- does the host get any info on the second person who isn’t booking? (I"m catering to couples- one bed- one parking space, etc)… Should we ask- who this is? Are they obliged to give their name? And should you put in your rules- “No additional guests” or is this assumed?

I do not require other guest names via airbnbn rules. Some of my message wording indicates I’d like to have that info, but it is not really that important to me, (I rarely get it) . I try to remove barriers to a comfortable booking for both host and guests, and I am not a private investigator. We have 95% couples only.

I do not know if there is a button to select for all other guests info must be included on each booking on airbnbn. If you often get parties it might be worth the hassle to get all that info, otherwise you might end up with guests who think you are a pita for asking and requiring.

1 Like