Uncomfortable situation among 2 couples

I have 2 rooms in my house listed. The room A, I have young couple booked for 1 month. On the first week of stay, she has no problem at all. Now she is getting very comfortable with the place, she starting to be so loud. Room B, the couple recently check-in and will stay for 2 nights.

The fun begin at, young lady in room A was so loud in the morning waken up couple in room B. They (room B) text me and ask if there is a couple beside there room? they can hear everything and they could not sleep. I reply her back “yes, there is another couple stay beside you, sorry I will text her to lower her volume down”. Not even 2 minutes after, the young girl from room B went to knock the door and told room A to lower her voice down. Now both of them are pist and starting the war. They starting to yelling and banging the wall to each other for a few minutes until one one them decide to leave.

They will meet again tonight, and I don’t know how should I deal with this situation :frowning:

First, do your house rules include specific quiet time (such as 10 p.m. to 8 a.m.)? If not, I would add that. Adding it won’t help now but could help in the future.

Second, talk with Room A in person.

2 Likes

Third, talk with Room B in person.

1 Like

Right! I meant to add that. Got distracted.

Feuding guests, have to love it. I had this once, they both received the same text msg. You have to basically become “mom” and give them both a stern warning. You would think that adults would act accordingly.

I did tho, I told her the quite time 10-8 which she seems to understand. She starting to very loud at 8.00 a.m. while the room B still asleep.

Add a rule: “Be courteous. Other guests may be in the next room. Please keep your voice and volume down even after quiet times. Other guests may be sleeping.”

1 Like

Maybe use “Shhh…quiet please. Sleeping/relaxing.” Door handle hanger signs like they do in the hotels. Then you could put that qualifier instead of just “even after quiet times). Of course you may then also need to require guests to remove them or turn them around to “I’m out right now” maybe when they leave.

Actually, I just thought about that being a good idea for even those of us that only rent one room out in our home. I often don’t know whether o should be tip toeing around or hushing the dogs…the driveway is not visible except from the guest’s bedroom window and potentially the front door which is right next to the guest area so I avoid using it.

What a most unfortunate, and tricky, situation to find yourself in, particularly as Room A are with you for a month.

Did you hear any of this yourself? Are they younger couples? Have you made a judgement regarding who escalated matters, or are they both as bad as each other?

I think I would take steps to firmly de-escalate matters whilst Room B is still with you for tonight, by not siding with either party but by politely telling them both that such behaviour is unacceptable in your home: i.e. focus on yourself being the wounded party for having your household subjected to such poor behaviour, or something like that that you feel comfortable with.

I hope all goes well for tonight/tomorrow, and that both couples are contrite… If not, let us know tomorrow and we can help further perhaps.

Given that you have Room A for a couple of weeks more, I think you need to message her on the platform something about you expect her to show respect for both her fellow guests and for you going forward, just in case you need an audit trail for Airbnb to read.

I had a ghastly couple a few years ago, who arrived drunk and locked my Channel Swimmers out of the house after we went out to meet friends for the evening. He came down in the morning, earlier than expected and began hurling abuse about the swimmers at me, as I prepared breakfast for them all. Simply pointing out that such behaviour was unacceptable in my home, even if he was a paying guest, calmed him down to simmering point. His wife took him home soon after and neither requested a refund. I think it was important not to get caught up in his “he said, she said” narrative, but to focus on my home and expected behaviours.

Keep us posted.

3 Likes

I have similar issues - the driveway is only visible from the Great Room windows. I have a split design (master on one side of the house, 2 guest rooms on the other and I work from the other one) and a pocket door so guests can have even more privacy.

I take my laptop into my bedroom and have my morning coffee outside or in my room until I hear them moving around. The cat hates any closed doors, so I have to shush her, too, as she can open the pocket door and will meow outside their doors, so she stays with me until I hear signs of life.

My most recent guests said that they never heard a peep when they slept in, so I’m pretty happy with that!

1 Like

THIS - we’re running businesses and keeping things calm and unemotional gives everyone the room to calm down and “reform.” If they don’t behave, then you’ve messaged them on-platform, spoken to them in person, and next they can go. “Regarding our conversation this morning about loud noises and loud talking - we do have other guests who may not share your sleeping schedule. Please be considerate and keep the noise to a minimum. Thank you.”

1 Like

Does anyone agree that the couple that observed the quiet hours and only made noise after 8am is in the right and the couple that expected THEIR schedule of sleeping later past 8am to prevail was in the wrong? Seems to me that The couple that was trying to force the other couple to be quiet was in the wrong…

3 Likes

I agree with previous posters that there’s no upside to taking sides.

1 Like

ouu, I like this one, I will put " “Be courteous. Other guests may be in the next room…… " in my house rule! Thank you so much guys!

—> Door handle hanger signs - that actually good idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

UPDATING: The room B decide to leave without notice. They are not spending another night here, they just left before room A come back. So no fight last night.

Room A, her nature and the way she speak is loud (louder than regular people) seem like she try to shout a bit when she talks, but I find it natural for her. I close a couple days booking for room B just to notice how room A behave first, as it might not worth to have more fight lol

Thank you all :)))

I got your point. I though of that too. My house is a bit tricky as we located close to the airport, and majority of my guests landed by midnight and arrived my home past midnight (I have no issue they check in late, 100% of them really quite at night time so far).

Yes, I did briefly wonder, but it’s of no benefit for a host to take sides with warring guests; it would lead to more conflict with the host involved.

Maybe it’s worth adjusting your “quiet hours” to suit this schedule? Maybe 10-10 or something?

1 Like

They are disgruntled and may ask for refund and/or leave less than stellar review…a shame when guests do not communicate well with their hosts.

That’s not good. I hope you communicated with them and make sure they’ll leave you a good review, not a bad one based on the long-term, super loud guest in A.

I would explain to her that the fighting with another guest wasn’t a great way to start the day and even though shouting is her normal volume, you’re running a TWO room business and she just cost you money and good will.

Try writing via AirBnB messaging platform: “I understand that you and Room B had an issue with noise. While your voice volume may be normal for you, it did disturb other paying guests. Please be aware that you are sharing the space with other guests and be more considerate. I now have to worry that Room B will leave a bad review, and that will affect my business.”

1 Like