Unauthorized Airbnb charge on MasterCard

Unauthorized Airbnb MasterCard Charge
I noticed a charge on my MasterCard as follows:
AIRBNB 14158005959 GBR
for $58.86
Foreign Currency-CNY 288.25 Exchange rate .204197
I contacted Airbnb about this and there response was:
Thanks for reporting the unauthorized and/or unrecognized charges in the amount of CN¥288.25 on your MasterCard ending in 0702.
Our records indicate a full refund was processed and you should see a credit in the amount of CN¥288.25 shortly. If you haven’t already, we suggest you work with your bank to secure your card. If you’ve already filed a dispute with your bank we kindly ask that you cancel it.
I asked for more details and they said that there were privacy issues/laws that prevented them from providing further information.
My questions is: Does Airbnb keep our MasterCard (credit card) details on file? I don’t even remember providing it to them in the registration process? What is going on?

Are you a guest? host? Did you book a room? Did you have a room you control booked? Did you cancel a booking?

If you are a guest, this is a host forum. I suggest checking with the official Airbnb community forum. We are not affiliated with Airbnb in any way.

I’m a host. I’m really not sure why they have my MasterCard number

I am a host - Have been with Airbnb since September

Sounds like fraud unrelated to your Airbnb account. I would contact the bank immediately to report the fraud. Don’t trust that there is going to be some sort of refund made!

Thanks for your response. I will notify my credit card company.
I assumed, because they said that they will refund the amount, that the error was made by Airbnb.
Still doesn’t answer my question, if it isn’t fraud, does Airbnb keep a record of host credit cards?

Do you mean if you used your card as a guest? Only Air can answer that question.
I would imagine they don’t but you never know with these online companies.

They do keep your credit card number on file if you have been a guest. You can delete your credit card from the profile… Go to Profile → Payment Methods → Find your card on the page and use the small REMOVE button underneath.

@Lesley. You should check there to see if they have your credit card on file.

2 Likes

Thanks! I just deleted mine, in case there are hackers afoot.

1 Like

No. Many hosts have not used Airbnb as a guest and therefore have had no reason to give credit card information.

Do not cancel the disputed charge with the bank. What are they thinking, asking you to give up the rights and protections you have associated with a credit card dispute? What the bank will do is follow up with Airbnb to confirm the correction. Not your responsibility to keep Air’s record clean on fraudulent or erroneous charges.

1 Like

same come to me here
i was charged AIRBNB 14158005959 GB CNY 5000
another charged was
AIRBNB 14158005959 GB CNY 4800

is it fraud? or airbnb system error? this is my new credit card, totally havent used in anywhere, only saved my details in airbnb account,

Please contact Airbnb. We don’t know we are just a forum for hosts.

Call your bank and report it as fraud.

RR

I noticed a charge on my visa
AIRBNB payment from netler
for $1,389.01

I contacted Airbnb about this and never answer me and also they block me in chat and never answer my emails since 11 November.

What is going on?

How do we know @lamalaa - are you a host??

Are you saying Airbnb took money out of your account or your account was hacked?

What did your bank/CC company say?

Try Airbnb on social media.

This. Call your bank or credit card company right away.

Hi Lesley! I was also charged Php127,000 (around $2,540) yesterday by Airbnb. We have the same transaction number AIRBNB 14158005959 GBR that appeared in my card billing statement. It was also Chinese Yuan. I contacted my bank to block the card and I filed dispute. Also contacted airbnb but I was told to wait for their team to conduct the investigation then they’ll call me. Given that the booking is usually in advance, I tried to get the name of the hotel to check if they can still hold the transaction or cancel it but Airbnb wouldn’t disclose.

I’m not an AirBnB host and I don’t know how I got here. But I’m upset with AirBnB for charging my card two AirBnB transactions amounting to 63K Php or 1240 USD under the merchant AIRBNB 14158005959 GB. I’ve called already my bank and I will fill out a dispute form for these unauthorized charges. For nearly a decade of using a credit card for online transactions, this is the first time that I encountered a fraud. And I noticed that this merchant details of AIRBNB 14158005959 GB has been doing some unauthorized charges also to many card holders. Clearly, something’s wrong with AirBnB platform and we can’t trust AirBnB anymore. I will never use them again for my future travels and bookings.