Unable to accept children = discrimination

No one is forcing you to accept guests you don’t want to host in your property. However, if you are going to use Airbnb in order to do so, then you have to abide by their TOS which you agreed to when you started using the service.

So simply rent out your place without using Airbnb then everyone’s happy.

You couldnt be more wrong. Take us for eg - we made it very clear because of a indoor pool by council bi- laws no kids allowed.
Your wrong on the 2nd count too- well maybe your not wrong in so much as i think your saying airbab have enforced their own rules.

However the fact is under discrimination laws THEY are in breach of laws
Ill only say it once more and you can check it under the laws=
If its your principle place of residence where you live full time-- obvious by the name of the act- but iv put it there in case you do not understand-- under advertising laws the owner MAY say female house keeper wanted for example-
Room for single male - or female - no children - no couples.

If airban are in breach of those laws somebody should report them
simple

Exactly. Any business is allowed to create its own TOS. Airbnb, thankfully, have created theirs so that it means that hosts can’t discriminate against guests because of religion, sexual orientation, age etc.

So it’s no problem at all - if you don’t agree with the TOS then advertise your place elsewhere. No big deal surely?

Why are you so concerned about airbab are you working for them or just trying to earn points with them.
This is a classic example of the mentality.
They may have a T OS but if its breaches peoples rights under the antii discrimination laws and especially if it is a council bi laws then they are in trouble
Its just that sadly the hosts have not launched a action.
NOBODY has he right to force anybody not to operate unless you want kids there.
That comes under another section of law btw - but some of us have lives and are busy.
I might ask some colleagues to contact them-- time able - to point out the laws.

Absolutely. You can say whatever you want. Go for it. I’ve just amended my description to specify that “everyone is welcome at my place except airbab Dave who is probably a bit racist”. You’re welcome to challenge me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Look Dave, it’s perfectly simple. If you don’t agree with Airbnb’s TOS then don’t use them to advertise your rental. There are plenty of other places.

You have prejudices against certain types of guests. I get that. But Airbnb is not the place for you.

2 Likes

I just got my first instant booking from a guest who informed me she has a puppy and a 7 year old. She also has 8 okay reviews. She didn’t put in the second person request in the booking or do as I ask in my rules about contacting me for booking with a pet. I submitted a change request which she accepted within the hour. I could have canceled since she violated one of my rules but decided to give it a go since it’s slowed down this week. I’m also leery of any problems with discriminating against people with kids.

I really don’t have that many reservations about a 7 year old, I wish they had another kid category like no kids under 5. If this goes well I might mark that it’s suitable for kids but am wondering if that will just open the floodgates of couples with children contacting me for booking with groups of 3 or even 4. Regardless of age I don’t want more than two people in that room.

Any thoughts from people with a single room rental?

@KKC. I believe that any child indicated in the over 2 year old category does get counted as a human by the AirBNB software. If your maximum is 2 people, this software should prevent a couple plus child from booking.

I too wish that we could do a minimum - maximum age that doesn’t fit their pre-designated range. I would do baby to 7 months, and then again older than 5. [at least three months of kindergarten.]

It doesn’t prevent them from booking, it prevents them from paying. LOL.

I know there is a host here who unequivocally states in her listing that children MUST be included in the total headcount because she is a registered B&B with New York City and NYC Code has no such silly thing like ‘kids don’t count’ - certainly not when it comes to the fire code. Her language was clear and concise - I will try to find it.

I found it. I don’t want to identify the host without their permission, but since all our listing our open to the public I feel alright about quoting the listing. I think they did a good job of laying out their policy. I don’t know if Air would back them up if challenged by a guest.

The thing is, I have instant book. So anyone can book for one and then tell me they have two people and a dog or two people and a child and a dog in their party or whatever. That’s what I mean when I say it doesn’t prevent them from booking, it prevent them from paying. I’ve had to request payment for a second person or dog or both at least a dozen times.

My rules state: "Friendly dogs are welcome at the K9 Karma Casa, please pay for them as an additional person or if there are 2 persons, contact me and I will send a special offer. " Reading that now and thinking about what I am trying to get the guest to do I realize I need to re-word that.

1 Like

This is my “pre-booking message” that she ignored: "Thanks for choosing the K9 Karma Casa. Please make sure you have requested for the proper number of people. If you have a dog and 2 people I can send you an offer with the proper amount. " She booked for one person. Clearly she isn’t trying to get away with anything as she disclosed in her message that she had a child and puppy.

This person has IB, too - so they must modify the reservation if someone does not initially include a child when they book. Ugh - I think this policy is just rife with problems for hosts. Just ridiculous.

1 Like

If Airbnb would make a line item for a pet fee it would help.

5 Likes

So my woman with 7 year old and puppy never showed up. I messaged her through the Airbnb system and got no reply so I texted her. They just changed course and she forgot to message me. This wouldn’t be the first time someone booked my place same day and still didn’t show up. Good for me.

2 Likes

You can call Airbnb, and ask them to make the call as a safety check. I had to do that once.

Thanks for your input. If she hadn’t replied to my text that was going to be next on my list.

I like that kinda “guest”, too. Used to happen all the time with guests booking on Wimdu, less so on Airbnb. (Wimdu are not doing well these days, so I hardly get any bookings from them, any longer). Full earnings, no cleaning to do. Perfect experience. :grin:

2 Likes