UhOh, booked a superhost, no reply to my first msg

Did you try and contact her any way other than the message system? If I really want a response from a guest I will try the “email guest” link first and then, ultimately, texting them if needed. I just ask them to check their messages on Airbnb (I don’t email or text the whole message). I’ve always gotten a quick response with an apology and an “I didn’t know you messaged me”.

I read an interesting thing somewhere. It said that it takes 7 to 9 compliments to make someone feel good but only one criticism to make them feel bad.

I’m pretty sure that in the posts you’re referring to there have been several people (me, certainly) posting to say that hosts are no problem at all and no better and no worse than any other guest. So maybe the above paragraph applies to posts at the Air Hosts Forum too? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Let’s make it 1 or 2 more to tally up the 7 to 9 compliments.

I’ve hosted two sets of SuperHosts and like @jaquo has stated, they are like any other guests, and like any other guests they can be good or bad guests but in my situation they gave me some of my best reviews.

1st SH:
“Amazing place and even better host who is so on top of his hosting game it is unreal.”

2nd SH:
“We would give this vacation experience a + 150% rating!!! .”

4 Likes

The guest did choose this home for a reason, and may not be looking for the same style or luxury level as her own listings. Presumably @NordlingHouse has enough pictures and adequate description so the guest knows what she is getting and won’t be surprised when it’s not as luxurious.

For what it is worth, a firefighter advised me to always have a current list of names and ages of the occupants of my property. In an emergency it would alleviate a great deal of confusion and help first responders when seconds count.

2 Likes

Great point. As a guest though I never include that into so I’m one who slips that step. In my case my BF does not have an account so it would not populate. And since he doesn’t have an account he doesn’t want them to have his email address so they can spam him.

I require first and last names of all guests. It is in my Rules. I had one woman refuse to give me the name of her infant and instead canceled, losing a good portion of her 5 day reservation for it being within the moderate cancellation policy window. Her loss. My win.

3 Likes

I was told that the host needs only to know the number of people in the rental. This is where hosts with cameras and/or who are on-site (and nosy, like me) have the advantage.

Emergency services don’t need to know the name of the occupants, I was told, but need an accurate number. So if they’ve rescued two people from a burning building they need to know that they’ve done, rather than not know about another stray person in there.

After all hotels don’t know the names of the accompanying person - especially at a no-tell motel type of place. Just the accurate numbers will do.

Understood. I took the firefighter at his word that this was an important factor. Just a difference in perspective for me, though. I tend to overthink things, also. I have a family with thirteen children coming in September. In a panic, it would be easier for mom to be asking for help to find “Benjamin” rather than toddler #3. Knowing that Benjamin has Down’s Syndrome is especially helpful. It might be that I have large groups, also. I have to figure out whether there are couples (who might share a bed) or if the queen beds will hold one a piece. Whether each lanky teenager will require a full sized airbed or whether twin 5-year-olds can share one. Do I need a pack-n-play or a toddler bed? Knowing the first AND last names helps me with this game of Tetris, as the names help with the family dynamics a bit.

2 Likes

Primarily it’s numbers they need, adult count & child count; while additional information is good, especially in respect of vulnerable or disabled (physical or otherwise) persons, too much additional information isn’t.

JF

1 Like

“I hide the fact that I am a host…” I noticed that Airbnb mentioned in the booking information that a recent guest was also a host; she hadn’t said anything.

I am really not sure why guests feel the need to tell you they are hosts or super hosts. When I travel I don’t tell people that we manage properties as I am there to have a holiday :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Their profile and reviews tell you if they are hosts- not necessarily the guest themselves.

1 Like

I’ll tell you why: when someone books me I always wonder if they are going to be good guests. Basically I know nothing about them, right? To me, we hosts know how difficult this job is. I was telling people that I am a host in order to put their mind at ease that 1) I am not going to destroy anything and 2) I am not trouble. we are a pack, if you want, or soldiers fighting the same war.
It never, in a million years, crossed my mind that by doing this I might scare the host and I might sound pompous and entitled.
Since then I started to keep my mouth shut!

2 Likes

@NordlingHouse, I too ask for the other traveller’s name and cite insurance reasons, although my insurance doesn’t actually require it. There’s no reason for the guest not to supply it, and it helps give me a heads-up if I’m getting multiple people in the property over and above the number agreed to. Had some Jehovahs Witnesses this weekend who left me a pamphlet to improve my relationship with God but were apparently fine with bringing unregistered guests into the property.

2 Likes

Hope you charged them for the additional guests @icenisf and mentioned it in the review.

look at the superhosts, resenting you already! You were right!! Resenting, I say!

1 Like

Well, she turned out to not be the pain I thought that she would be. She and BF were OK, cooked a lot of their own food. But I was still a little worried, so waited to see if she would post a review. She didn’t, and I was out on a tour right at deadline time, so I didn’t either.

OTOH, I had a host book a room for herself and a friend. The friend showed, she didn’t. The friend was from Argentina and didn’t speak much English. I asked about the original booker, and she said that she was “somewhere else with boyfriend” which I presumed meant that she had done a third party booking for the Argentinian woman, and was staying with her boyfriend elsewhere.

So I waited until 5 minutes for checkout, and posted a review stating that she had done a 3rd party booking because she hadn’t shown up, and gave her 1 star for communication and one for house rules, and said that I wouldn’t rent to her again.

Her reply blasted me for my review, saying that she had had a “family emergency” and was unable to come but didn’t want her friend to miss seeing Alaska even if she couldn’t come. My take is that she could have communicated with me about it, since she acknowledged receiving self check-in info 5 days ahead and the door codes when the room was ready, which she then passed on to her friend.

…and I also had a 2 night booking from someone hosting a whole house rental in Los Angeles, who gave me 4 stars because the 4 slices left in the bread bag out for guests had just started to mold and she didn’t tell me because some idiot staying at her place in California had called during her glacier helicopter trip to ask where the salt and pepper were at her house, so she “didn’t want to bother me”. No, instead, she wanted to give me a 4.

My summer season will be over in a month. So far I’ve had 7 hosts this summer. 3 were great, 2 were OK, and the last 2 are mentioned above.

It seems to me that replies are getting more scarce as Airbnb becomes more popular. It bugs me that I don’t get them but I don’t need them the way some hosts do. I recently sent a message to 10 former guests about their stay. It’s an unusual situation that doesn’t usually exist. Only one replied to my message and he’s a repeat guest with whom I’ve already exchanged messages on other issues.

And most of the time I get no acknowledgement of my messages, sometimes even if I say “I see you checked in, let me know if you need anything.” Silence. I know the app can lag, maybe they don’t use it. I’m just handing out 4s on communication if they can’t be bothered to communicate.

4 Likes