Trying to operate along with dozens of others in a town with regulations in flux

My husband restores vintage motorcycles too! He specializes in vintage European bikes. He uses our trips to England to source materials sometimes. Maybe the two of you might want to become acquainted?

Here’s the FB page for his business. It’s a paying hobby only right now; he still has a full time job doing something else.

1 Like

OP here - No, the neighbor had been friendly until I told them we were going to do very occasional STRs, mixed in with family and friend guests. Then, an incredibly vitriolic verbal assault in the street after the first paying guests (he could only guess they were paying by overhearing them speaking Ukrainian, so really close monitoring). We had been friendly for years before that. Extremely stressful. So, without actual clarity of town regulations, I just cannot run it without an overlay of extra pressure.

Neighbor leaned heavily on ambiguity of regulations in his screed. He had been talking with Building Inspector, who views virtually all STRs in the state as “illegal” on the basis of his personal interpretation of state building codes. The Inspector has some legal authority of course, and is trying to get more, and may yet succeed. So, again, here we are. I suspect eventually there is going to be a very high court ruling that frees up this industry, but I may be long-retired before that happens.

In case you don’t already know, government employees can be reined in through a municipal court procedure or sometimes just by talking to an elected official about the employee. I realize the USA news is full of examples of police and other public servants doing illegal things and getting away with it, but that does not mean this is normal. Yet.

1 Like