Trying to cancel incoming guest that smells like trouble

I wasn’t aware I was defending discrimination. I was defending choice. But discrimination is a rather general term, and means different things to different people. So a sensible discussion would have to start with defining terms. But like you, I have no interest in arguing about it. Or even having a civilized discussion, for that matter. I suspect we both have better things to do with our time.

3 Likes

I’ve a friend in London with Norwegian Forest Cats. They’re amazing and so gorgeous. Congratulations! My double rescue Bengal sends a purr or five dozen.

Yes, aren’t they wonderful? But sad news yesterday; the breeder told us that all her girls have failed to thrive. It was a large litter of eight and Mum couldn’t cope with feeding them all, even with human help. Hey ho. More devastating for the breeder than us, as we’d not yet met them.

We have thankfully found another litter due next month.

1 Like

The only thing I can find in policy on this is: you should familiarize yourself with Airbnb’s Nondiscrimination Policy and review the Community Commitment, where you agree to treat everyone in the Airbnb community–regardless of their race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age–with respect, and without judgment or bias.

I’ve seen multiple hosts, both male and female, who have their listing that says “no single men” etc so I don’t think it’s enforced but could potentially be treated as discrimination if the “right” agent gets their hands on it. I’m honestly not too sure.

2 Likes

This is the stated policy that answers lililou’s question:

Airbnb hosts may

• Make a unit available to guests of the host’s gender and not the other, where the host shares living spaces with the guest.
2 Likes

I am torn by Guthend’s post. More and more I think we should be allowed to accept (or “discriminate”) whoever we think eligible in our home.
I am a woman, and often alone, as such I would not list my room on airbnb if I cannot screen guests and refuse single male guests of any religion or race. It’s very clear in that situation. If AirBnb doesn’t let me screen male guests then too bad I’m not accepting anyone.
If I were a lgtb host, and refused the possibilty of refusing guests who, for example, adhere to ideologies of throwing me off the roof of a building for my sexual preferences… well I don’t know what to say to that?

2 Likes

Agreed. It’s an age-old conundrum, freedom of association/liberty vs. “equality” so called. I come down heavily on the former … we need to have freedom of association and liberty. For the practical reasons you cite.

1 Like

What bull pucky. Money has nothing to do with whether I will feel safe letting a stranger into MY home, which is not only where I live but my only major asset.

I didn’t say anything about you feeling safe. I just said people doing Airbnb in their homes is not the same as inviting people into my homes.

When I do Airbnb I don’t invite anyone. I put my listing up and people pay me to stay. I have IB with govt ID requirement. Insisting they are just the same is bull pucky. For example we have discussed discriminating against a variety of people over time here on the forum. I don’t feel “safe” when I see MAGA hats and confederate flags but I don’t feel justified in saying “those people” aren’t allowed in my Airbnb.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s eventually moot point anyway. Airbnb will require IB with no profile revealed before booking just as BDC does.

Just curious, why don’t you feel safe?

“safe” is in quotes. I’m not a fearful type person. I’ve only seen one MAGA hat alive, in the wild. LOL. But I meant it in the same way people don’t “feel safe” when they get certain inquiries. It would be a long and boring explanation to relate it to doing Airbnb.

I feel threatened by the MAGA mantra personally because I’m a lesbian. The MAGA crowd has made it clear that they think 'Merica was better off when we were almost all in the closet, not serving openly in the military, not able to wed, and could be fired or denied service due to our sexuality or gender indentification. I take it personally. There are many other aspects I don’t care for politically. I live on the border and don’t find “illegals” to be a threat, don’t support more wall building and don’t care for the militarization of our border like we are living in North Korea or West Berlin.

4 Likes

Interesting. I know a fair number of gay MAGA folks with a softer view of our times. Also, the appointments of Mary Rowland and Patrick Bumatay have tripled (if I’m counting correctly) the #s of openly gay federal appeals judges. Looks like gay candidates are being solicited for the Ninth Circuit vacancies.

It also looks like Richard Grennell (Amb. to Germany) is getting powerful bipartisan support to end the criminalization of homosexuality worldwide. A definite plus for our gay bros. and sisters.

I know some too. The kind of tokenism you laud is not comforting to me. If you re-read what I said, I’m talking about the rank and file MAGA hat wearing crowd. The kind of people who might stay at my Airbnb: I don’t feel “safe” around them but I don’t discriminate either.

I’m not really interested in a broader debate here on the virtues and long term effects of the DJT presidency.

3 Likes

Someone who is in a subgroup that is threatened by persecution and hatred but still embraces The values and ideals of the people who want to persecute you has always then in me a fascination. How how did they sleep? And, scarily, how can they vote to take away others rights when thier rights are threatened?

1 Like

Oh that’s so sad. Glad you’ve found another litter. Good #management #staff is very important. I think my cat is responsible for more of the 5* than I am! :wink: