Trust Rating System for Guests

Wondering what folks here think about lobbying AirBnb to add a “trust” rating system for guests. Something like Karma. https://www.producthunt.com/tech/karma-3.

Have you heard of other “trust” systems for guests (beyond doing a background check)?

Also, I wish there was a way to ensure that a guest’s profile photo was “verified”.

Looking for other ways of tightening up the guest trust factor.

I posted earlier that maybe age segmentation could be a factor but I agree with the below posters that age may be less of an issue than I had originally thought.

Thank you!

To be honest, some of the younger groups we’ve had have been the most respectful - IME it is often the ‘entiled’ middle aged and older guests that are most demanding, think they have booked a hotel room and treat it as such.

I don’t think an age discriminatory system would work.

Perhaps all first time guests need to pay a higher damage deposit as standard, which reduces with subsequent stays.

4 Likes

I agree. Some of my youngest guests have been the best - took out the trash, sent a thank-you. A family group was the worst in that their laundry was disgusting - but, they live in a country where labor is so cheap they can afford to pay someone to do their own laundry - they probably have no idea what it’s like to be the one doing the cleaning.

The think about drivers is that there is tons of actuarial data documenting the risk of renting to younger drivers. I don’t think you’re going to find that with airbnb. So many of us have had great experience with younger renters.

2 Likes

@dcmooney - I was just going to say that :slightly_smiling:

By which I mean that there are lots of statistics showing that under 25s have more car accidents than any other age group. We don’t have any data about guests apart from our own experiences.

I’ve had lovely guests who have been under twenty five. I think that my best ever in terms of cleanliness were in their sixties. My worst ever were in their thirties (they weren’t terrible) but I also had another couple in their late fifties or early sixties whose cleanliness left a lot to be desired. There’s no set pattern.

I’m comparatively new to Airbnb (December last year) but we’ve been renting via other sources for many years and despite our experiences, I wouldn’t be able to say that one age group are better or worse than any other.

2 Likes