Tropical Storm Dorian

You live on the coast and don’t even have emergency provisions for yourself?

I feel compelled to defend myself. Of course I have emergency provisions - bottled water, battery powered radio, battery powered fans, flashlights and lanterns, and a generator. I just don’t stock up on yucky canned stuff anymore, just a few cans of soup, tuna, crackers, snack bars. I live in Ft. Lauderdale, not on an island. I have never had guests when there’s a storm but I keep flashlights and lanterns in the Airbnb room in case of a power outage. If we are without power for days I will share for Pete’s sake. They can have the good fan. I will make them café con leche on the grill. They can flush their toilet with my bathtub water. I am over my panic for now.

2 Likes

Oh good. Certainly no need to panic especially as you are much more prepared than it first sounded.

I spoke to Air BnB today. They are are leaving it up to guests and hosts at this time. If you want to cancel your guests stay or arrival if coming you may do so. There is no penalty as a host due to extenuating circumstances hurricane Dorian and Florida being under state of emergency. If guests want to cancel theyget a full refund. I have 3 guests in house and asked what they would like to do. Explained they may stay unless an evacuation is issued then its a mandatory out. 1 is staying and has prepared. I just wonder if I should have them sign waiver host not responsible for any damages or bills if resulted by there decision to stay. I would prefer they leave.

You can cancel per airbnb their reservation with no host penalty if you wish. Spoke to them today.

So you should cancel.

I don’t have to worry about Airbnb. If there is ever a hurricane here in El Paso I have bigger problems. LOL.

4 Likes

If you’re hosting in an area that’s likely to be affected by the hurricane you might want to sign up for Open Homes. We did a few years ago even though a tropical storm left us without electricity. We had a lovely couple stay. The airport was closed due to the storm and all they needed was somewhere to sleep until they could get a flight.

I imagine that Airbnb has already set up a Dorian Page :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think my current guests can get a flight at this point. I will cancel the ones for next week.

1 Like

This is tough on a budget. Hopefully it won’t do too much damage.

1 Like

Similar to what’s happening in Florida—
I checked NOAA and there is a chance it will scoot up the Atlantic coastline. Last night I texted my guests about rain being predicted for the entire weekend, asking them to monitor the weather and explaining if the hurricane strikes my area, AIrbnb will notify them of any changes to the cancellation policy.

If either asks to cancel or reschedule, I’ll do it. I want people to feel safe & I would feel awful if they had an accident while traveling in the rain, especially if they had tried to cancel their reservation

2 Likes

[quote=“Replytodebbi, post:24, topic:35037, full:true”]
You can cancel per airbnb their reservation with no host penalty if you wish. Spoke to them today.
[/
I talked to Airbnb today too. They said they are leaving it up to guests. After the 11:00 advisory

So it looks like it’s turning. I know we have lots of hosts in the Carolinas, and some in GA. Thinking of @annsavannah, @georgygirlofairbnb and @Annet3176 specifically. Keep us posted and best of luck on it not wrecking anything.

6 Likes

Yes looks like South Florida is not getting hit. I am relieved - hopefully my guests will be able to fly out Monday. I want this storm to turn back out into the ocean! Thinking of other hosts who may be affected.

1 Like

yeah keeping an eye. I believe ( hope ) it will remain offshore and bring some non-threatening winds and regular heavy rain.
Have already contacted guests and glad to say I have NON-panickers this week. Makes it easier.
One house has stood through all past hurricanes, including Hugo. The other is newer and a bit lower in a flood zone…so more precarious if heavy flooding ever does occur.
Not worrying yet.

3 Likes

Well even if no damage to your property I know it hurts tourism for weeks if it does hit.

You are so correct !!! If it floods 40 miles away I get calls wondering if we are “under water” and all bookings cease no matter what.
Charleston floods even when no hurricanes, so our location of problem floods are mis-understood

1 Like

It’s a beautiful sunny day here in Fort Lauderdale :sunny:

I hope that hosts who are in its new track will try to keep us up to date that they are okay.

Stay safe.

3 Likes

That’s awesome!

I have someone coming on Wednesday but he hasn’t contacted me so I left it alone as well. My last month’s 30 day (repeat) guest just left but if there was s hurricane I don’t think he would have held it against me :rofl:

1 Like

I appreciate that sentiment. My NC guests checked out today & thoughtfully stowed my patio furniture (condo so not much else to do). They are dreading being in evacuation traffic.

Guests from Indiana flying out tomorrow before storm. They asked me today why locals not acting more anxious and rushing to evacuate. The weather channel has my guests almost in a panic.

I invited them to stay if their flight was cancelled. I also advised them to evacuate if flight cancelled and looked like it would be a hurricane instead of tropical storm.

Like @KenH has stated weather channels tend to dramatize storms. For my area NOAA is projecting cat 1 with 20% chance of downgrade to tropical storm. Code requires buildings to withstand cat 1 with minimal damage.

HOWEVER it could just as easily increase speed. No one really knows.

Flooding is a huge problem cutting off access bridges to the island so yes my Airbnb business will probably be dead for the next 30 days.

As long as people safe, all is fine. The “stuff” is insured

1 Like

Have you ever watched a TV presenter speaking live from a ‘hurricane’? They are wearing wet weather gear and swaying in the breeze whilst they refer to ‘this thing’ (the hurricane) and tell us to ‘hunker down’ to ‘ride out’ the hurricane. And they are shouting to be heard ostensibly because the wind is roaring.

Yet in the background there are some perfectly still trees. Then a little old lady walks by with her tiny little dog…

It’s all sponsored by Home Depot anyway - getting people to buy generators and plywood to board up their windows.

2 Likes

Just lost one weekend reservation.
The Tournament just cancelled …so that’s a refund.
If I dont do it, it is extenuating circumstances so I might as well go on ahead and beat AirBnb to it