Tricky negotiating beforehand

Right now I’m not working, so I have the time to answer questions, but when I go back to work (I have a hand injury that’s healing), that will change.

The fact is I have good reviews, the place is brand new (so is nice) and it’s priced reasonably. I have verified photos alongside my own, so there are 27 in total.

I don’t mind questions about the neighbourhood, but when it comes to booking, holding a guest’s hand for days at a time just feels a bit much. It’s just that each of these two guests (there were only two) eventually tried to get some kind of deal from me, which leads me to think that their extended communication had a point–to wear me down to what they wanted, which meant booking on their cancellation terms and/or going around the Airbnb system. I didn’t cave, but they were trying to make my parameters sound draconian.

Another condo owner here has an Airbnb place elsewhere in Montreal (her former home), and she actually warned me about having extended conversations. She has had the same experience with online chatty Cathys–they often want a deal after they feel they’ve formed some kind of online relationship with her.

The comment about their booking elsewhere was actually meant to be a prompt to let them know they were pushing my limits. The fact is that I didn’t accept either of these guests, so I would only use that line on someone I really didn’t care to book.

I’m actually surprised at how many people want to go around the system. The fact is the rates we pay to Airbnb are reasonable and both parties are covered in case something goes wrong. I don’t get it.

A note on cleaning fees. They are based on the area, so possibly consider reviewing what fees are going for in places in your own area. There is really not a standard fee.

You are so right…to show them the place first is actually a violation of the TOS to have any contact with them outside of the system, and is of no benefit to you. Most are lookie loos wasting your time. Experienced Air users would not think of asking to see the place and would rely on the reviews. The ones who showed up at my door just had no idea what Air was or how to use it. When I told them that they had to book first and what the cost and that it was not available they gladly left. Air changed my map right away so this could never happen again.

1 Like

If they are pushing to ask for a discount I kick them to the curb! That’s not the kind of guest I want. There are plenty more to take their place. I’ve determined…we, the hosts,get to pick the kind of guests we want!!, right?

Irene’s place is beautiful and classy and if they are bugging her for a discount and are that cheap then they can just go rent a hostel! Hah hah…

I even changed my listing to read “I’m only interested in hosting quiet, non partying, mature guests who will appreciate our very quiet area.” This was after I had the guests from hell who invited strange men over and had a loud party here…with me upstairs!!! Unreal!! Had to speak to them twice about behavior. And of course it only got worse from there with damage and a mess left.