Towel Placement

I was shocked the first time someone complained (in the private feedback) about no lock on the bedroom door. I thought, I’m giving you the key to my front door and you don’t trust me? Since then, I’ve had about three guests out of about 300 complain about no lock on the bedroom door. I asked one of my friends who is what she calls safety conscious and I call paranoid to explain the logic. She couldn’t really explain it, but said she’d feel more comfortable with a lock even knowing that the homeowner had a key. In other words, it’s completely illogical. We caved and got a key for the guest room door. Since then the only guest who used it was a couple on their honeymoon.

1 Like

I used to put towels on the beds, because the bathroom would look too crowded with that many towels. Then my partner suggested that I put them in the closets in each bedroom, and as a result, guests use half the number of towels they used before.

2 Likes

Hi Barthelemy,

Care to share how many bath sheets/towles, hand towels, and wash cloths you leave per person for so many days? I have also thought about putting some for the downstairs guests in their bedroom closet.

True. It will put some guests off and I can live with that. I don’t want to cut holes into my 125 year old walnut doors to outfit them with locks. Nor do I want to have to remember to carry keys around when I am playing “breakfast fairy.”

3 Likes

I leave one bath towel, one face towel per guest, and I change them every two to three nights (I send a text to my guests telling them to put used towels in the bathroom).

I always leave 8 washcloths in the bathroom vanity, and change them along with the towels but most guests don’t use them ( only twice out of 48 stays).

I’m a bit confused… did you have a conversation with her about the towel placement or did you just witness her moving the towels?

I witnessed the aftermath of the towel placement, and then was chastised about where I had placed them. That is was not “how it was done.” I have worked in a number of very high end hotels and B&B’s and never did anyone with a private bath have their towels left on the bed. As I mentioned, I have only seen this done in hostels and shared bath situations.

So I was curious.

She sounds like an anxiety ridden control freak. I wouldn’t worry about it. If the towels are clean, soft and accessible, who honestly cares where they are?

4 Likes

Yeah, I had private feedback from my 2nd guest that having more washcloths available would be nice. So I went and bought a 24 pack of fluffy washcloths and keep about 8-9 rolled up in a basket visible in the bathroom. Maybe 1-2 used per stay, sometimes never. Oh well.

I agree with you. However, I started leaving the towels and washcloths on the guests’ beds. This is because a few guests forgot to get a towel from the linen closed in the hall; so they didn’t have anything to use to dry themselves. My bathroom is too small to store towels.

Our apartment accommodates two guests. We leave three bath towels, three hand towels and four facecloths.

The towels are rolled on a chair in the bedroom (there is no room in the bathroom for them). The facecloths are in a basket in the bathroom. There are also two beach towels in the linen closet.

No guest has EVER asked for more towels.

I always put towels at the end of the beds, maybe its a European thing as that is what I have always seen in say the UK, Ireland, France etc.

1 Like

I actually have a wicker chest in the bathroom I’ve filled with towels, and advise guests to help themselves. It works perfectly for me!

I have two towel racks in the bath area and a small ring in the sink area (they are separated rooms). So far, most people hang up the towel in the same place, or use a hook on the back of the door in the bath for the wet towels, A few have left the used towels on the tub rim or on the floor, but it’s common for hotels to request this so it makes sense. There is also a wire rack inside the shower area with a hook, sometimes there is a wet face towel on that.

I put out 2 face towels, 2 hand towels and 2 body towels for every reservation (even if it’s only one guest), as well as 2 white cheap towels for makeup. But, when we set up the rooms I had an extra corner china cabinet that had no place to go. I put it in an empty corner of the room (it needed something there, too blank otherwise) and stocked it with the pretty towels that coordinate with the bedding and curtains. So far, no one has gone in and helped themselves, but much like putting out a big basket of snacks, I think they like the idea of having extra supplies.

Very oddly, our 4 bathroom house does not have a linen closet. Anywhere.

I had a towel folded into a bird in a hotel in Costa Rica. There is no one right way to do just about everything. The guest was obviously trying to put you down, or has a very limited idea of what’s important in life. I’d have just thanked her, smiled, and in my head marked her down as a nutter.

1 Like

I’ve been folding towels in the shape of the AirBNB symbol and also of a unicorn in flight. Guests just love it.

7 Likes

LOL. That’s what gets you those over the top reviews. But it can’t make up for blood in the street. You and the unicorn will be falling back to earth soon enough.

1 Like

Yes, my biggest concerns right now are the blood stained sidewalk (they’re still there) and the possibility that some guests might be allergic to unicorn hair. (I’m only being disturbingly light-hearted about the shooting because the guy didn’t seem seriously injured. But it’s totally awful and I’m only acting like this so I’m not freaked out…)

2 Likes

oh man, was just chuckling about some of these responses but am now curious as to what the hell happened @chicagohost? did you not clean up some blood from a drive by shooting outside? shame on you

(seriously though, what happened, sounds pretty stressful :frowning: )

Shooting in the alley at 3 am during an attempted robbery. I don’t know many more details besides the victim sounding very drunk and no arrests yet. The city came out and cleaned up the blood stains so I guess that ought to be applauded:unamused:. Addressing gun violence, poverty, and racial segregation would be much better than being effective at cleaning blood off the sidewalks …

1 Like