Towel brand/style you love and always use

I line dry as well, and one guest asked me how I keep the towels so soft, as apparently people find they get stiff if line dried. I had no answer, I really don’t know.
I don’t use fabric softener, but I do use a mild detergent, safe for baby clothes, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I allow guest to check out and new guests to check in on the same day. That gives me 5 hours to wash and dry sheets and towels. Luckily my washer spins them pretty dry, but now Im going to dry them with lower heat, so we’ll see how that works out.

I don’t either and use minimal detergent. I do add oxyclean to every load. The water here is hard but you said yours is hard as well. Maybe the speed of drying. Most of the year it’s quite dry here and even on many winter days the towels are dry enough to finish in the dryer surprisingly quickly. I should time the next load because now I’m curious.

1 Like

Agree! I bought 12 towels from Garnet Hill between 10-8 years ago. Only two of the beige ones are showing any sign of tearing. The others, seafoam and white have just become dingy from age and I have relegated them to the outdoor shower. I have since switched to Costco because GH is too pricey for me these days.

Maybe it has to do with the type of minerals that are in the water. Mine is high in calcium, so leaves a white film on stuff, but not iron, and I wouldn’t know what else, as I’ve never had it tested.

1 Like

I am certainly not a high end rental, but believe in using quality products when I can and I buy them on sale. They last in great shape forever, no stains, shrinkage, unraveling. I wash and hang them out to dry.

At Home Premium towels and Target Threshold 400 ct sheets, both in white. Towels aren’t showing any wear, but I’ve only been using them for a few years. I found out they end up a lot fluffier if I use plastic dryer balls with little nubbies on them.

We have a fair amount of minerals in our water, and I noticed my whites come out better when I use Tide Hygenic Clean detergent, it seems to work better than blueing. Too bad it’s expensive.

Have you tried adding Borax to your wash? It’s amazing, especially with hard water and very inexpensive. I can’t imagine living without it. It also happens to be the main, the 2nd or 3rd, ingredient in Tide Hygenic Clean.

4 Likes

I haven’t tried borax but I sure will! I’ve got some lying around here from when I tried to make cold cream once.

1 Like

I like Dunelm towels (UK host)

I think this is probably pretty rare but I’ve found that I’m allergic to Borax (sodium borate) and break out in hives when my clothes or sheets are laundered with any product that contains sodium borate. Not horrible but annoying. It’s even in Tide Free and Clear, which was a surprise to me.

1 Like

What brand was your fluffy towel, and what brand is your soft towel?