Towel "allowance"

Hammam towels are Turkish cotton towels, often used for massage, hence the name. They are large but thin so dry really quickly. They dry your body at least as well. Some are plain weave cotton on both sides, some have one terry tufted side. They are often striped with tassles. They come in loads of funky clours, but mine are pale grey and white striped. I always use these for one night stopovers!

No not per night. We have a min stay of 7 or 4 nights. We expect them to reuse or wash.

I have a 1 BR unit with swimming pool.
4 for BR and 2 for pool sound alright?

I supply a 3 piece set and one extra towel to each guest. I also put washable bathmats in the bathroom. This eliminates people using one towel as a bath mat. I have a homeshare so I simply tell people to let me know how often they would like their towels replaced. Rare guests who stay 5 days or more often use my laundry and sometimes throw the towels in. I have very limited hanging space for the towels in either the bathroom or the guest room so I can understand wanting to replace towels that have not dried properly. I think the heavy users average out with the people who use few or even bring their own towels.

1 Like

This whole thread has been fascinating to me.

We’ve always provided one bath towel, one hand towel and one wash cloth per person. Most stays are 3-5 days. Mostly 2-4 people book, but because the maximum occupancy is six, the cabinets always have sets of six.

In five years no one’s complained. However, we also provide a free washer and dryer. We don’t promise soap but there’s always soap. So I suppose if someone wants fresh towels (or just to dry one thoroughly) they have the tools.

@KKC’s article was interesting. We each keep learning. [I almost thought that this thread was some kind of joke because I just assumed that people do what I’ve always done, which is wash towels once/week. Who knew?]

So, if I book for 6 we’ll all be stuck with a single towel and nothing to dry our hair with?

Hey, that happened to me once. I was staying with a new boyfriend at his place in another part of Mexico, his 13 year old son was living with him, and my then 19 year-old daughter showed up a couple days after we got there. I was the only person who had a towel, and everyone was using mine. After 2 days of this, I said, “Am I the only adult here? Seriously, you all think you can use my towel?”. Then I marched them all down to the street market a couple blocks away and made them all buy their own towels.

(The reason my boyfriend didn’t have a stash of towels at his place was because he’d had a long term renter in there just before we got there, and didn’t provide that sort of stuff to tenants)

Yes, that’s the current state.

We have extra towels, just no ‘neat’ place to put them.

We don’t get many bookings for six but we do get some.

I guess we’ll have to rethink this.

Maybe we’ll have to show a picture of Cuba Gooding Jr. from ‘Jerry McGuire’ saying he was going to ‘air dry.’

1 Like

Yeah, I understand that. We can only put about 6 of each (bath towel, hand towel, wash cloth) in our 2-bedroom units and still look tidy - it’s open shelving. When there are only 2 or 3 people, I don’t worry about it but if there are 4 or 5, especially if they’re all women, I just make a point of saying, “let me know if you’d like some more towels”. That’s probably your easiest solution too. And, btw, no one has ever taken me up on it but they always appreciate the offer.

One time we had a group of 4 women coming to stay and the one who booked mentioned something about towels in every one of the reviews she’d left other hosts, so I put a couple of extra on each bed to make sure I was covered with her.

I always offer fresh towels to anyone staying more than 4 days and in 4 years, only one guest ever has accepted the offer. So, for me, it’s been a low-cost/low-risk way to make my guests feel cared for.

2 Likes

Ahh, that’s a very welcome and helpful suggestion. Thank you!

2 Likes

@jaquo I think you’re the host who posted the link to purchase the “spa” robes? If so, thank you, but also - thanks to you I had to buy 2 more because almost ALL of my guests wear and love them! One University Prof couple - I kid you not - actually sought me out to take their photo in matching terry robes and turbans! I was hoping for your experience - folks appreciating the amenity, but not always using it :grinning: The quality is great for the price - great suggestion (I mean it)

1 Like

I do long terms. I have an unpopular view with towels. I buy the best I can buy in bulk from Costco. Then I load them up with 8 towels each. This way, they only have to do laundry once a week.

Works like a charm.

2 Likes