Took all the soaps and shampoos

My experience here in Thailand on the island of Phuket we get all nationalities all are tourist, so we learn about each ones are like, There is one nationality will take everything once I remember a full box of teabags 300 they were only here for 3 days,

1 Like

I have a framed “poem” beside my basket of amenities in the bathroom. I can’t remember it exactly but something like
To make you feel your best,
Take what you need and leave the rest.
It may be useful for the next guest.

I don’t know (or care much) if it’s tacky :laughing:

6 Likes

I literally took kitchen comestibles out of one groups hands as they left.
My olive oil, vinegar, teabags, auger etc.
And they left a kitchen disaster behind them.

2 Likes

OMG! I’ve had one group take the olive oil, but I wondered if maybe whoever packed up didn’t realise it wasn’t theirs as they’d brought a lot of their own stuff. I supply very nice local brands (currently have Maggie Beer olive oil in the cottage) and I get a bit shitty when people nick them. (as mentioned in another thread, all these little things add up, I don’t need to have $10 walk out the door from a one-night stay). I provide a box of water in the fridge (cos we are on bore water) and sometimes people will take the whole box with them.

2 Likes

I wonder if it might be a good idea to get a batch of stickers printed up that you could slap on things like olive oil bottles with “Feel free to use but don’t remove” or something like that. Bright red stickers so they don’t accidentally get packed up with the guest stuff.

I’ve read hosts saying things like chargers got taken, probably by accident, until they started labelling them “Property of…”.

2 Likes

yes, i have 3 of those cube power things, with 2 USB slots, very handy, and I’ve written our farm name on them so they don’t go walkies. They are kinda expensive. putting a label on the olive oil or box of water might look a bit persnickety, so far I’ve only had one bottle in 2 years taken, (or maybe 2 but it was almost empty so maybe they finished it).

2 Likes

One guest cleaned us out of most of the extras that we provide in our suite. I was going to message her but then thought I would let it go. I let it go because many guest take nothing, use nothing at all so i works out. Sure, I was annoyed and I struggled with the thought of messaging her and telling her how tacky it was to take all the stuff that was complimentary. I am sure if she had packed tupperware she would have taken all the coffee, tea, hot chocolate as well. Instead, I just ticked the box that I would not host her again, hope that box actually works and our Airbnb suite does not show up on her search in the future.

4 Likes

In our pre-checkout message I sometimes add sentence:

“Unlike a hotel, all supplies, condiments, toiletries are for your use only during your stay.”

A few here thought it was tacky. I include it when I feel it might be appropriate based on what I know or don’t know of the guest.

1 Like

I like the “Property of…” label idea very much!

If my husband saw me using a charger, he would assume it was mine and would pack it. That is just how his brain works.

People are strange. I had guests check in that were practically in tears because they forgot mayo and ketchup. I pointed out several times the location of a small market five miles away. I ended up giving them sealed, large bottles of both, from my pantry, asking them to leave them in the fridge. They took both home, go figure.

1 Like

People are strange. I had a guest who in the most wheedling tone accosted me and said, “It would be so nice to have butter for the bagels” (which I had provided – plus jelly – and the grocery store is 3 blocks away).

I rummaged in my freezer and handed her a full stick of frozen butter. She didn’t use it after all.

2 Likes