Took all the soaps and shampoos

Wow. I worry about this happening all the time. Why are guess like this.

1 Like

As other hosts here have suggested, it isn’t something you need to worry about- just provide enough for the number of people and length of stay, and figure it into your expenses, assuming guests will either use or take it all, which in fact most of them won’t.

I make a point of saying that the amenities are 'for your use during your stay."

Sadly, my check-out letter sometimes says: “Unlike a hotel the amenities are only for your use during your stay, not anything to take with you.”

I add that as needed.

I have not changed a thing, I still overstock the amenities and then some. I have not had anyone empty the basket since. I think leaving a note would be tacky.

2 Likes

I stock snacks and I don’t care if guests take them.

But I wouldn’t want them taking the bathroom shampoos, conditioners, etc. or all the kitchen spices, oils, coffee, etc.

Maybe I need to be more specific.

The odds are against this happening more than once in a blue moon. I would rather come off as generous than cheap and micromanaging.

RR

4 Likes

No one wants to come across as cheap. As to micromanaging, when is it the pejorative micromanaging and when just communicating?

I find the phrase ‘for use during your stay’ to be communicating and not cheap nor micromanaging. As in a reference to “shampoos, conditioners and other amenities for use during your stay.”

It seems to me that a phrase like this might – just might (no guarantees) – give the otherwise clueless guest a clue that they shouldn’t take the amenities.

This suggestion is a general one, not directed at the situation in your original post.

1 Like

Ok, but surely you knew you were going to receive advice about it :wink:

As a guest, it would sound feel pejorative and cheap to me. It sounds that way to me as a host too.

1 Like

Sure seems a lot easier to only provide what you think will be adequate for a booking, letting the guests know to let you know if they run out of anything, than to worry about them making off with stuff.

For instance, complaining that 4 guests went through 18 bath towels in 2 days is silly- why provide 18 bath towels when 8 would have been sufficient for any normal person?

1 Like

I understand that it’s going to be different for different types of hosts and different types of listings but I personally don’t worry about it. If anything it seems the more I provide the less they use.

Out of hundreds of guests, only two have ever taken more than what seemed reasonable, yet I’d estimate about 100 haven’t used anything at all. It works out and it works out in my favor.

@HostAirbnbVRBO have you an issue with it or you’re just trying to be preventative?

1 Like

Well, that’s surprising to me.

I don’t see how it could be thought of as ‘cheap.’ To me that suggests that it is ‘cheap’ not to want guests to take off with 16 oz+ size bottles of shampoo and conditioner.

I thought that perhaps a Host here might feel it presupposed that the guest did not know better, in which case – what’s the word? – if so, such guests might at first feel that it was condescending? I say ‘at first’ because on reflection it might be considered as just straightforward communication.

I would think that Hosts here would know that guests come in all kinds and to say that the amenities are for their use during their stay is straightforward communication.

I’ve never said anything like that to any of my guests and yet,

I’ve never had it happen. Although I think my shampoo and conditioner bottles are only 12oz. Though we still have the same exact ones that we bought 5 years ago (we refill from gallons).

One time I thought someone took the large lotion bottle from the medicine cabinet but I later found it empty in our outside recycling bin. Also thought the same once about a bottle of essential oil but found it empty in the bathroom bin.

Have you had those things taken or not?

I just don’t think it needs to be said. People who aren’t going to take them won’t even if you don’t tell them not to and people who will take them will take them even if you tell them not to.

Besides the reason you provide shampoo is so that your guests don’t have to travel with it, so why would they take yours?

If you had a hostel situation it may be different but your place has a pool. It just doesn’t seem appropriate (to me).

We did have one guest who took a full near-brand new bottle of shampoo. So I see it mainly as preventative.

One of the things that I thought I had learned here was the importance of communications, that we as Hosts often make a mistake by assuming that the guest has the same kinds of knowledge we have as guests, or that we think guests ‘should’ have, or the knowledge or culture of different guests.

So I learned here that some Asian guests might think it’s not an issue to get water all over the bathroom floor because at home there’s a drain in the floor. Some guests might think that if they see an insect inside the house, even in the tropics, that it’s an infestation. Similarly, someone might think it’s OK to take all the bathroom or kitchen amenities.

–>. So, from what I’ve read elsewhere here in this forum, my takeaway is communicate, communicate, communicate. But concisely!

Sure it’s a long shot that someone out of ignorance will take ALL the amenities but there seemed to me to be little to no downside to point out to guests that we hope that they enjoy the many bathroom and kitchen amenities we’ve provided for use during their stay, and not to hesitate to let us know if they have recommendations for others.

True, funny story.

Years ago, this is the late 1980’s I had a job that involved a lot of travel and hotel stays. On one of these trips one of the company’s benefit analysts, who had never travelled on business before, joined us on one of these hotel stays. As he was checking out the front desk asked if he had used anything from the mini-bar. He responded ‘Why do you ask?’ The clerk responded that there was a charge for each item. He scurried back to his room and put everything he had taken from the mini-bar. He had EMPTIED IT OUT and thought this was just a non-discussed perk of traveling!

He was a lawyer.

1 Like

Exactly. Guests who make off with a 24 pack of toilet paper or a 16 oz. bottle of shampoo (which does very occasionally happen to some hosts) know they are thieving and a note saying the supplies are for use during their stay isn’t going to stop them.

I actually end up with lots of almost full bottles of toiletries that guests have brought and left behind as they don’t want to pack them. I sterilize the containers and have a basket full of that stuff that guests can use if they need them. It’s more than I could ever use up myself, or things I have no use for, like mens shaving cream.

1 Like

We just got our first three-star review. One of her private complaints to me was that we should leave out unlimited bags of coffee so she wouldn’t have to ask our staff for more coffee.

My sympathies. Sounds like the kind of guest who would find something to complain about no matter what.

Assuming there was a normally adequate amount of coffee provided, that’s a real attitude of entitlement, the assumption that there should be “unlimited” amounts of anything. And that she resented having to ask for more- what a jerk.

In a week, she and her boyfriend went through over 2 lbs of coffee and all our coffee beans and was frustrated that our housekeeper couldn’t find more beans - texted me about it then complained again at the end of her stay.

I drink 2 and a half cups of strong coffee a day and a kilo of coffee lasts me 6 weeks. Sounds like they are either total caffeine addicts or were making more coffee than they actually drank and dumping it down the drain.

1 Like

At least if she whinged about lack of a limitless supply of coffee beans in her review, she’ll sound like an idiot. Hope it didn’t mess with your average rating!

1 Like

No, she was too clever for that. Vague “needs love and attention”, “maintenance issues”, etc, countered with “had a lovely stay and great vacation”.

Fortunately, we have so many five-star reviews on Vrbo that it doesn’t change much. Although we might lose Premier Partner, which doesn’t mean much anyway.

2 Likes