Too many one-nighters - the way forward?

My mom is from New Mexico and when we visit family we land in El Paso, so thanks for the invite!!!

How do you know your business would drop off if you imposed a 2 night minimum?

I charge $165/night for a 1 br unit during my high season and Iā€™ve never, ever ironed sheets and they are wrinkled as heck, esp at the top edge. No complaints, Iā€™ve had 5 star ratings for cleanliness for 2 years straight so it hasnā€™t hurt me in the least. Not ironing the sheets gives me time to quickly run a lint roller over the sheet to eliminate hairs and I think this is a much better use of time, and takes 2 minutes.

4 Likes

I simply get more requests when I have single day rentals. I would like to be able to select CERTAIN DAYS for one night rentals. For example: I have sunday and monday booked, iā€™m vacant tuesday, and again wednesday booked. Iā€™d like to offer that one day as a single day rental.
The other option would be if I had two days in a row vacant, say this week, I wouldnā€™t necessarily want to impose my two night rental policy for those two days. Iā€™d rather have 1 rented than none (ideally at a HIGHER RATE). Seems to make PERFECT SENSE!

1 Like

There is an option to do this! Go to your calendar.
Select ā€˜manage settingsā€™.
Select ā€˜Availabilityā€™
Select ā€˜Edit trip lengthā€™
Select ā€˜Add another requirementā€™
Scroll down the options under ā€˜Duringā€™
Select ā€˜Specific datesā€™

You can then choose the dates when you want a minimum stay of one night.

They introduced this option a while back and itā€™s one of the best things they did. But since they ā€œupgradedā€ the site, itā€™s not that easy to find anymore.

3 Likes

People need jobs. Thereā€™s probably someone you can find who would be willing to co host with you and do the cleaning. You can set it up in Airbnb to pay them the cleaning fee directly. They can probably tell you what days they need off and then you can open for those dates.

We have co hosted with others and as long as you are open to paying for the service itā€™s a win win for a person who may co host for more than one property and host.

Or just hire a cleaning person and pay them directly.

Then you will only be responsible for the dates that they do not show. If you have a popular listing it really does help create jobs and itā€™s a benefit to the community.

We have a strict three night policy, and only break it occasionally. Is there nothing to see in your area that would make the guests want to stay for at least two nights? Also, do you have a cleaning/ break day in between rentals? You can set that automatically, so even with Instant Book on, the system wonā€™t allow ā€œback to backā€ bookings. You can also block out certain days on your calendar so you can have a break. We do this every now and then to get some down time between guests.

1 Like

There are lots of great suggestions here. Iā€™d like to add my own to the mix.

There are many ways to manage your listing and the calendar. It is possible to require weekend stays to be more than one night, block off certain days of the week, adjust settings so that you automatically have a day or more between guests. Because I prefer long term guests, the farther out dates have a required 20 night stay, e.g. Iā€™ve settings for EACH month between September and November to require 20 nights. If longer stays donā€™t get booked, I update settings to free up weeks or nights for shorter stays for the current, or almost current month. Iā€™ve found that it isnā€™t a good idea to ā€œset it and forget it,ā€ but rather a continuing strategy of noting the season, the availability of other listings, comparable prices, amenities, etc., helps keep my rooms filled about 80%+ of the time.

ā€¦And I donā€™t iron sheets, but I do try to get them out of the dryer and onto the bed as quickly as possible.

I did I lots of one nighters in my early months of hosting but stopped after I started hosting longer terms guests.
Are you in somewhat business area where you might get workers who came for a project? They are the best and will stay for week or more and pay you the same as one nighter.
I would suggest to put minimum 2-3 days and see how it goes. You might not loose bookings but actually gain. Since you will be booked at once for 2-3 days. One nighters also block your calendar and this who look for 2-3 nights wonā€™t find you.

I am muchyounger than you but one nighters were exhausting to me too. I still do one night here and there when there is a space between bookings and always complain about the bed changing :grinning:

What does Ironing mean?

7 Likes

I host rooms in Padstow, Cornwall and I am almost maxed out on laundry at 2 night minimums, I honestly donā€™t know how people in busy towns do 1 niters! Change to 2 night minimums! Right now! You can always set 1 night mins during less busy times.

I donā€™t do one nighters for the same reasons you state. I have considered changing to one nighters for days that I choose, at a higher rate than two or more. Havenā€™t done it yet as it doesnā€™t change the cleaning,washing bed making routine.

1 Like

Oh my god. You iron everything? Stop that at once. People might have expected that in the 50Ā“s, but not now. I never iron anything. Also, I keep the bed linen permanently inside-out so it takes less time to put it on the duvet. Do everything you can to limit workload. I have loads fo one-nighters, and yes, its more work, but then at least I have almost every single night booked throughout the high season and at least every week the rest of the year. I need the income.

7 Likes

Also, you might consider simply having a day or two off every week to catch up with the laundry. How about blocking a few days every month from your calendar?

3 Likes

Most people in the UK people expect ironed sheets and pillowcases when they are on holiday. Unless they are staying in a hostel or a really cheap room, or they are backpackers or similar. It adds tremendously to the quality of a persons sleep and to me is essential. But, I have finally bought myself a roller iron, so although I have tons to do, it is not as back breaking as it was. I know many hosts do not iron their linen and that is their choice obviously, but if you are using 100% cotton I cannot imagine just flinging a wrinkled sheet on the bed. Yuck.

4 Likes

I iron pillow cases, duvets and sheetsā€¦I must be a bit sad but I hate seeing them looking wrinkled on the guest bed. And I would hate to arrive at an Airbnb and see wrinkled sheets, pillow cases and duvets.

Iā€™ve stayed at about 8 in the UK and Ireland and all have bedding which has been ironed.

3 Likes

I totally understand the extra work one-nighters might cause - however, I donā€™t mind them at all. They usually arrive late, leave early - just after breakfast, which means I have my apartment all to myself most of the day. Yes, there is some extra washing to do, but I am the proud owner of one of those brand new gadgets, called washing machine, so this isnā€™t really much work, at all. And no, I certainly do not iron towels or bed linen.

6 Likes

Maybe itā€™s not people from the UK who expect this, but you expect this and you are from the UK.

1 Like

Iā€™m from the UK and I expect this too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try experimenting with a minimum of 2 nights for a month and see how you go.

1 Like

If one-nighters are your main clientele, why not take advantage of that and keep your one-night minimum and either hire someone to do a couple of days a week or block a regular couple of days, i.e. the ones which get booked the least - Tuesdays and Wednesdays, for example, so that you get a break every week.

3 Likes