To respond or not respond

I admit that I don’t understand this even though so many of my guests seem to bring everything but the kitchen sink.

I travel with a partner, a small bag and a cat. That’s it. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

I feel for you, honey! I had the exact same thing happen to me. But not only was nothing mentioned ,directly to me, the two women took up so much of my time wanting to chat, wanting to have a “goodbye coffee” etc…They told me how much they appreciated my direct communication and my frankness.

One of the women was moving back to England and so had a bunch of extra items with her she knew she wouldn’t get on the plane, and offered to “sell” me some of her items. One thing was an albeit high end, but none the less stained duvet cover. I gracefully declined.

Come review time: didnt think linens were clean, and that nobody should have to sleep on a poly blend sheet…

The freaking catty nerve I thought! In her private notes she put…"if you weren’t so kind and fun, I would have marked you down more. And reminded me that she used to run an Airbnb and so she knows how it should be done!

The kicker was her last line " I left the duvet cover as a gift. Hopefully you get some use out of it!!! Oh, thanks! A stained, used duvet cover!
How my review points will soar!

Since that day, I’ve wanted to put a fork in the woman’s eye. I’ve written my public response to her 76 times in my head. But have never published it.

I advise you to do the same.
Dont let the bastards get you down. It wont teach her anything. And you will always be the better and bigger person!

(In your mind, it’s ok to put a fork in her eye though. Do it now. Go on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you. Its also a disorder, like many of the mental health variety, that is so distorted and misinterpreted by the greater public. It is not a disease or a tic that has anything to do with cleanliness. Someone is not “ocd” because they obsess over their clean house.

It’s about rituals and compulsions and negative thoughts. Period.

Often those may have to do with handwashing, but it has nothing to do with keeping your house or environment clean!
And yes, hearing those kinds of things does make me “crazy”!

1 Like

On your topic, I too, think you should respond. I agree that you should point to your other reviews. Cleanliness is a value we regard highly. One thing we do to help mitigate this is have a checklist that is displayed to the guest. Every time we clean we check it off, update the date and time cleaned. We’ve had comments from guests who really appreciated seeing it. Doing a checklist also helps ensure not a single detail is accidentally overlooked.

On a related note, have been dinged for location twice now. Both stated they were frustrated that there’s a train nearby, and that they couldn’t sleep. We put that there is a very close train to the location several places in the booking. Regrettably, many people wont bother to read the details. They will simply complain later. :man_shrugging:

Absolutely respond. This site accurately taught me not to respond, and I usually dont. And as another guest said “you are targetting your future guests” when you respond. I had poor ratings a couple of weeks ago from a guest, complaining about things that are impossible to improve - eg location, that I live upstairs, that the wildlife dont appear on demand. I responded - all this is on the site before she booked. The end. And someone else here mentioned cleanliness…smack that comment down. Especially if it is linen. I wear my glasses to make beds and clean bathroom / kitchen UP CLOSE. Despite that got a 3 for cleanliness from a newbie for an eyelash in the bath. I did not respond to that because she had already mentioned it in the review. I can imagine most people reading that and (hopefully) rolling their eyes.

1 Like

Do you use fragrance-free laundry products?

There are people out there who think that if the linens don’t smell like heavily scented dryer sheets or fabric softener, they must not have been washed. They are probably the same folks who enjoy Yankee Candle.

2 Likes

Ugh, I cannot stand all the scents in some AirBnbs. The first thing I do when I get to a place is cover/put away the candles/scent sticks in oil and unplug and put in a drawer the plug-ins in the outlets. Even with that, it’s sometimes impossible to get the scents to dissipate.

I will never use scented anything in my cleaning or laundry, and refuse to use candles/plug ins as well. Since a lot of people have allergies, I mention that everything in the house, including toiletries, are unscented.

3 Likes

On the topic of scented laundry, I use cheap liquid detergent that hardly has a smell, but my stuff always smells clean and fresh. I think it is because I dry on the line.

RR

1 Like

I always start my response with " to any of my future guest’s reading this "

1 Like

This is not true if you don’t use fabric liners. I use the heavy duty clear plastic? type and they do not go in the laundry. I do spray them down with daily shower cleaner.

1 Like

Maybe that’s where the stray eyelash came from… :wink:. Sorry, had to. I’m in a mood! Lol

3 Likes