[Title/Post Redacted]

If you can stand another suggestion, some women travel with their own makeup remover solution. For them, I have white, and very cheap, washcloths, purchased at Costco for $1. a piece for them to use with those solutions. Solution is really not the right word, but I have never worn makeup so I don’t know the vocabulary.

1 Like

Tickled me pink, although I visually inserted “in-law”.

1 Like

A word of warning. I’ve only once suffered the make-up-on-towels-dilemma (a funny story though) and supplied face wipes for a while. Of course, these were then flushed down the lavatory and we ended up with a badly blocked drainage system withing about a month. Someone one here posted a photo of nicely rolled up face cloths (UK = flannels) in a box which I adopted at speed, and tell people what they are for. No more towel or drain problems.

PS: I’ve already mentioned I’ve been to the pub for too long. I’ll cease and desist for tonight; too may typos=giveaway.

1 Like

I immediately thought you were going to follow that with “on the ceiling,” LOL! Excuse my mind being in the gutter. Er… on the ceiling. :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

You’re still confused?

1 Like

We once had mirrors on the ceiling over the master bed (waterbed), the dining table and wet bar. It was like living in a nightclub (and more).

Our architect definitely had fantasies.

1 Like

I guess confused isn’t the correct word to describe it. It would be more a disagreement in how think I would react to a post like this versus how others chose to react to it. I read and understand the points mentioned by everyone, and I just feel that I would see it from a different perspective and I would react differently if the roles were switched.

I think the more you hang Round here the more you’ll understand the reaction. I think if you had named it Tips and ideas for newbie hosts, it might have gone over a little better. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

I do agree that my initial title could’ve been misconstrued, but I do stand by the current title without the “newbie” part. My feeling is that if you begin to read the post and feel, “Oh no, not one of these again”, then you can simply ignore it and leave it for someone it applies to more.

Also that it was presented with links, intentional or not, got the dander up of some members.

All that said, I hope you stick around! :blush:

1 Like

While I do wish I could’ve kept the links, I do understand why you couldn’t allow them and why it could’ve given the wrong impression.

You should read the forum guidelines we put together, it’s a privately funded forum, and affiliate links aren’t allowed. The only person who can do it is the owner of this forum. He pays a boatload of money each year to host this place for our benefit and we need to follow his wishes.

I did read it after unintentionally violating them (also, I did read them when I originally joined, but the time difference was too long so I forgot). Also, as I mentioned in the comment saying I removed them…

They were simply links to help people find the products that I was recommending based on personal use (I wouldn’t have made any money if they purchased them or clicked on the links).

Also, no need to defend your policy. Again, as I said in my previous post…

1 Like

I only repeated it because you said you were still feeling confused or unclear.

I feel like lately there’s been lots of pushback with the mods, the forum guidelines and other issues. The guidelines are not unreasonable whatsoever. Many other forums are way more strict.

This forum had no moderation for years and it was a free for all as well as a big spam billboard. Members went after each other with unbridled nastiness. You may not like some of the mod decisions but the forum is a much better place today than it used to be.

1 Like

Please see my previous post…

and as far as…

I have no qualms (so far :wink: ) with how the forum has been moderated (including my own posts). I agree with forum moderation and the need for it.

However, I do feel that some of the seasoned members (moderators & general members together) often jump to negative conclusions/assumptions with new members solely because of the actions of bad actors in the past, whether or not the new member had bad intentions/violated rules or not. I get the feeling that those seasoned members have become very jaded with new members/certain posts/comments, and it can sometimes come off very unwelcoming as a new member. I’ve already noticed this a few times in my short time here. Something to keep in mind. Try not to always assume the worst :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I disagree so let’s leave it at that.

3 Likes

It’s good to be helpful when people ask for help. Like unsolicited weight loss advice when you have totally different genes and medical/lifestyle background. Never a good idea.

I provide everything that you provide and more and have been a superhost since my first quarter, before you started, but I’ve never stated so on the forum, wouldn’t give you ‘help’ assuming you need it and my listing and hosting is far from perfect so I’ve been lucky to get the reviews I have. A lot depends on your market and price point that attracts very different and more generous/grateful guests, which has escaped your analysis.

3 Likes

Interesting that doesn’t put people off staying with you @sirvin. I wouldn’t want to stay somewhere with indoor cameras.

1 Like

I agree what works for one listing doesn’t necessarily work for another. And it could be off putting for new hosts to see a long list of things they are told they should include, that they may not feel is right for them.

I agree with that, I wouldn’t stay in a place myself that has cameras inside.

I got a few of those very small smoke detectors as a gift at Christmas and thought I would put them up in my rental, but as I looked at them more, I thought they kind of resembled cameras, so decided against putting them up for fear some guests might wonder about them.