Third-Party Bookings—Policy and Response

Was there actually a moment that she said she herself would be attending? Did you assume she would be attending or did she really manipulate?

I guess that loads of people are not aware that third party bookings are not allowed. They don’t understand that the review system doesn’t work for 3th parties, they don’t understand that 3th parties are not well informed about the house rules.
In the first line of your review I would say something like: (GIRL) made a reservation for her real estate work team and wasn’t present herself. And then continue with the normal review.

Another line of thought: Let’s suppose she had been present, would it have made that much difference? Would her colleagues have been better informed about house rules? Would she have responded quicker/better to your messages? Would she have been any more/less responsible for her teams behavior?

I showed you the messages…so you can see the benign nature.

Yes, I absolutely think 100% she was aware of manipulating. She covered her tracks in messaging so she knew. And she knew when she got the contract and put in a work address. Yes she knew.
Would the rules have been followed?.. I have been renting for 9 years…every week…thousands of guests ( 10 people x 80 times a year x 9 years = estimated # of guests ).
I was only blocked in one other time in 9 years, and that was when I was off in the hospital due to a life threatening situation for my husband. Nine years. Nobody was “in charge”…with large groups there has to be a person at the helm.
My contract is very explicit, and I send it , and rules, 2x prior to arrival. It works, because there is a real live person in charge. Rules are also in book.
In 9 years this is the first 3rd party booking. ( not willingly and not knowingly).
I dont want a 3rd party booking. I live in my mother in law apartment and I want to know who is in my main house. It skeeves me out to think of total strangers in my house with no contract and no connection and blank.
I will immediately add to my contract and double check my listing to say that the person booking MUST be present (explicitly), but I believe it is implicit, or she would not have covered her tracks, and she would not have continued to lead me to believe she was present.
When I reminded her via text to keep the outside porch light on, she would have responded, "not there but will telll xxxxxxx or please send message to xxxxxx as I am not there. etc.

I am going to break this off into a new thread. Thank you for responding.

1 Like

@georgygirlofairbnb I deleted your post here and if you and @GutHend could move your posts over to the new thread you started that would prevent people from splitting responses between two threads. I can link these posts to the new thread but can’t just repost them in your names.

1 Like

I agree. I finally added “No third party bookings” to our house rules. Clearly some ppl just don’t get it.

We just got a third party IB from someone who wasn’t even comfortable having the person stay in her own home. WTF does she think I’d want this person in my home now?!?! I’m really close to adding the rule, “No locals,” but the few we have accepted were fine.

There are a couple hospitals nearby and we get a few ppl looking for place for their older relatives to stay while they’re awaiting a loved one’s recovery. Luckily, I’m usually able to convince them to create their own Airbnb accounts and book on their own, which has worked out great. I helps that some of the hospital staff know us, so guests get assured that we’re not some crazy people letting strangers into our home. Ever since we were in the front page of the local Sunday paper for being Airbnb hosts, we’re like local celebrities - ppl can’t believe ppl come to our city.

Anyway, I can’t believe I need to add an Airbnb policy to my house rules.

“No locals” might be considered a discriminatory rule.

We just had an incident in our house where a woman booked for 4 people. Message just said “Can’t wait to stay.” Never heard from her again. Cut to check-in yesterday, we notice on the security camera that 4 men and NO woman has arrived. They enter for 30 minutes before leaving the property and never coming back.

The next day my husband gets a call from the woman: “We booked a hotel because your home does not have a true 4th bedroom as advertised.” Sidenote: Our home advertises the 4th bedroom as a flex space/den which suits the majority of our travelers needs. One can clearly see all the beds are spread across the three other bedrooms. Then her phone turns off and neither my husband or Airbnb is able to get in touch with her again.

Video footage clearly reveals the reason that she did not even attempt to contact us on the actual day of check-in: she was never there! I find it incredibly ironic that the woman tried to accuse us of deception and shot herself in the foot in the process.

Airbnb sided with us and she will not be receiving a refund.

1 Like

Eh, where one lives isn’t a protected class. It’s a choice. Plus, we don’t rent by the hour. That’s usually what a local is looking for - an hourly booking.

1 Like

Airbnb policies are not based on federal law.

1 Like

I still avoid renting to locals unless they have a legitimate reason for needing to stay. Hourly rentals are not legitimate. My house, my rules.

1 Like

Many of us here avoid renting to locals, but we are also careful not to put anything that could be considered by BnB as discrimination in our house rules.

We’ve had great experiences with renting to locals. We’ve had local people stay here to celebrate anniversaries and birthdays, young moms who want a night or two away from home and kids, a woman who stays here whenever her husband’s family comes to town, and more. All the experiences have been very positive.

We had no problem with locals either until recently where the “Airbnb party” took over with 18 years old who book with either a parents or older siblings credit cards with my whole home rental. I am very cautious now when booking locals into my whole home which seems to hit it’s peak in the nicer weather.