Third party booking issues

To hosts who accept third party bookings; you are making an exception to the rules solely at your discretion and setting a precedent that is not in the best interests of your guests. That will likely lead to future failures and disappointment for them. If they try to do a third party booking at my Airbnb, I’ll ask them to cancel and I will cite the policy here:
Airbnb third party booking policy

I’ve had a lot of guests try third party bookings who have been doing it many times and I’m the first host who rejects them. They’re usually angry and spiteful because their previous hosts set an unrealistic expectation by making exceptions to the rules. If you do it once, they expect it every time.

This hasn’t happened yet but if someone ever shows up and their name doesn’t match the reservation, I won’t let them in. That would really be a disaster for the guest. Luckily, I’ve caught all of the third-party reservations before they checked in so far but eventually, someone is going to be very very disappointed.

Good idea.

2 Likes

Although I have somewhat tough rules, I only crack down when it is serious

Max 8 they bring 9, I say nothing.

They do $30 in damage or extra cleaning, I tend to look the other way.

They move a piece of furniture, etc.

They stay 30 minutes after check, same.

I am not interested in fighting over small things. But I might block them from future bookings considering what else went on.

There is a tolerance level. But I don’t treat them as the enemy. This is a hospitality business and they are human. They are somewhat balanced by others who were easier

2 Likes

Well said.

The other issue is you may get a review from someone who has never set foot on your property and can only rely on the reports from the guests who actually stayed and have no investment in the process.

Good choices. My favorite Mexican beer now available in the US is Indio. And the bottles in Mexico have cool different labels that represent the states in Mexico. I’ve only seen the standard labels in the US. Also the US formula tastes sadly different than the ones in Mexico. The brewery is owned by Heineken now.

To KKC and all: Not only did the father give me a six-pack of beer, but a bottle of Pinot Noir wine from the Napa Valley winery estate of film-director Francis Ford Coppola.

My lovely wife Linda is modeling behind the bottles. She said it was too rude of me to ask the father to be photographed with his gift.

3 Likes

That looks like a nice wine. It sounds like a nice guest and I’m glad this has worked out nicely for you. Nice!

1 Like

I might be wrong here but I thought the review has to be based on the guest’s experience. If its a third party booking, I’m guessing the review could be taken down. I’ve actually had one taken down so I’m fairly confident this can be the case.

2 Likes

It is rare for Airbnb to take down a review, however fictitious it may be. In this example, you would have violated the TOS and then gone begging to remove a bad review. Good luck with that! Going outside the TOS just leaves you more vulnerable.

I rent out rooms in my home and I’m an older single woman, so I want to know who is coming to stay. I didn’t accept 3 bookings because the guests didn’t have any references and had only just joined airbnb. I was sent a message saying I’d be deregistered if I kept non accepting. I rang airbnb to try and explain why I was knocking these bookings back, they told me I should put instant booking on and that would make sure the person booking had a reference. Luckily I didn’t do this because all of my bookings have been third party one was a father wanting to book for his early teenage son who was attending a sport’s meeting, if I’d had instant book on I would have had an unaccompanied minor in my house. I think we should be allowed to knock back applicants in our own homes.

1 Like

Welcome Kkhost. This topic is from May of 2019 and we generally don’t encourage reviving old topics. For one thing many members on this thread don’t participate any longer. Jaquo and I are the only people on this thread who still participate.

I’m going to close this thread but feel free to chime in on recent threads.