Third Party Booking - Also a Host (Vent)

Just got my first 3rd party booking from “also a host” for this Friday night only (wants to see the manatees…). I have strict cancellation and it’s for tomorrow…

Lots of reviews on husband’s account about “wife is the one that stayed, but it was OK.”

Thanks to all you beautifully helpful people, I was able to send her a polite, succinct message telling her to book on her own account and documenting that I would accept a cancel and rebook without penalty to her.

Her reply? “Yikes, I’ve never had to do that before.” She’s a host, ffs. She should know better.

If she had been subtle about it, I probably would take the booking, but one night and blatant… I just got SH status and I don’t want to jeopardize it.

:frowning:

what are you trying to avoid by changing the accounts? I would have just accepted the booking.

2 Likes

Should’ve kept the 3rd parting booking, that way if the wife gave you a bad review for any reason, you would have grounds to have the review removed. :wink:

3 Likes

A third party booking. From a host. :flushed:

1 Like

Sorry, I have to join the I-would-have-hosted-her party.

You’re lucky that you can guarantee manatees though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s a bandwagon! :wink:

I live less than 2 miles from a TECO power plant where the manatees congregate every winter. Tampa Electric’s created quite the visitor’s center, conservation area (they spawn coral in captivity to replenish dying reefs), and nature trails.

It’s quite the hit around here. :wink:

Lucky you! We get them in the canal when the ocean gets cold because evidently the canals are warmer but it’s pretty hit and miss. Fascinating creatures though!

1 Like

We do as well when Tampa Bay gets chilly (by Florida standards). Every year, a manatee gives birth under my neighbor’s dock. It’s so wonderful!

1 Like

I’ve sent her a message with instructions as well as asking if she drinks wine. I’ll go get her a bottle of something as a treat.

3 Likes

Good idea.

But seriously, look at it on a case by case basis. We’ve had a few Airbnb bookings where a husband/wife has used each others account. Never had an issue and so far great reviews.

JF

2 Likes

In hindsight I should have just taken it and dealt with it later. But she was right up front with “it’s my husband’s account, but I’m coming” and I panicked. In my defense, I got 4 hours sleep and have had a crazy day.

She just changed the name and added hers. It’s all good. Let’s hope she doesn’t hate me.

I’m on team “no third party bookings.” It always amazes me that hosts expect guests to follow all of Air’s policies to the letter, but are more than willing to ignore any host policies they disagree with, especially this one.

3 Likes

Yeah, but some of us just call it using a bit of common sense.

JF

2 Likes

I don’t even know what they are. When I’ve been a guest, I just use common sense - I’ve no idea what Airbnb expects from me. Whatever it is, it doesn’t get it. :crazy_face:

1 Like

Why? The reviews were good, they have a track record

I would have accepted it.

RR

1 Like

What if there are no manatees? I am presently in Bonaire and some people are having a bird about shy flamingos. Seriously.

1 Like

They should give the flamingos anxiety meds.

4 Likes

And some hosts and guests. (not any of us of course)

RR

1 Like

No, we’re old-fashioned and just drink wine :wink:

5 Likes

I used to accept third-party bookings but found communication with the actual guests to be so difficult, particularly in advance of check-in (which is an issue in part because my driveway can be very difficult to find), that I now include this sentence in my house rules:
“- The reservation should be made by the party staying in the bungalow; no third-party bookings.”

1 Like