Thinking of renting long term outside of AirBnb

I have tried blocking dates, snoozing listings. None affected my booking or super host status.

I don’t usually do long term rentals (over two weeks) because I make more money off of the shorter term rentals. This “more” includes cleaning fees. If someone wants to stay longer they could book an additional two weeks. Most of the time, unless you want time off, it doesn’t come close to what you would make through Airbnb. If you book outside of Airbnb they could kick you off of the platform. I’m not sure how they would find out. You are also not covered by Airbnb insurance. So, make sure you have your own policy. I would also be concerned about them canceling or changing the number of nights…which you would not be paid for and have no recourse.

Just message them and send the Special Offer while the dates are blocked. When they are ready to book set a time where you will unblock the dates and they will immediately book.

It seems you didn’t read any of the thread, just the original post but Airbnb is not going to remove you from the platform for booking outside of Airbnb. Many, probably most Airbnb listings also book direct or on other platforms. If a guest finds you on Airbnb and uses Airbnb to establish initial contact with you then you owe Airbnb their cut if they book. They brought you the customer and they should be paid. But if a guest returns, you earned that with your outstanding hosting.

The consensus here is that is unpredicatable at best, worthless at worst. Have you had good experiences with it?

People have been managing their own rentals for years, they don’t need Airbnb if they have any wits.

I have a guest here right now for 22 days. He’s been here 3 times prior. He put $500 cash in my hand before he walked in the door. The other half will be paid at the beginning of the month. If he doesn’t pay, he gets removed. If he cancels, so what I open the days on Airbnb again and probably get booked with my typical one nighters.

3 Likes

Sure. Rent outside of Airbnb. Just do not get caught using the Airbnb platform to get connected with renters and vice versa. They will boot you…as unlikely as it seems. An irate person that found you that way does still have the ability to report you.
Make sure you have a written agreeement/short-term lease.

In France, rental period longer than 90 days are illegal for Airbnb accommodation. But travellers seldom rent more than a month because the service fees of Airbnb (on tenants) are quite high (15-20%) of the total payment, and there is a daily tourist tax on top of that.