The longer you host, the more you trust your gut at first guest meeting?

It’s called a “double” (or heavens forbid a while back it was called “a marital”). No stains.

1 Like

Adrienne: I got paused for 5 days in May for declining anyone who wasn’t a woman (This is for my city apartment which is very personal and only has a wee twin bed.)

yeah, I agree, all guest are on the Bell curve: a few horrible ones and a few exceptional one. the rest are average.

I also agree that all hosts had a few horrible and a few exceptional. I don’t think there is a host out there who’s been doing this for at least a year and only had wonderful and average guests!

2 Likes

Wait, could you explain “I’ll wait the 14 to try to make it one way cause we all know how easy it is to get reviews removed”? Ty

i was under the impression that if you live in the house you can choose if you want women only. This is my case for the extra bedroom in the house I live in. I do have another property where I don’t live, obviously, and I don’t care who comes there, mostly groups. Some are good, some are less good. A few did damages and ABB was on my side. The average though leave the house in ok condition. perhaps they forget the light on or to take the trash out, or the stove top greasy… but no actual damage.

If you review right away it sends the guest a message along the lines of “Flyboy reviewed you, review now to see what he said!” It’s an additional reminder on top of the other 6 or so per stay. A guest might have no interest in reviewing…they are too lazy or busy or they hope it’s going to be a mutual non-review. Then they see this and decide to review and it’s ugly because they didn’t like being called out on the smoking and late check out.

If you wait until right before time expires they might not get their review in on time, thereby making it a one way review. Of course its not easy to get reviews removed so Flyboy is hoping loser smoker doesn’t review.

2 Likes

You’re right, Adrienne. If you share space, you can choose the gender of your guests.

Brilliant. Got it. Bow to your wisdom. My mind is so packed at any given time, I knock things off ASAP so that I don’t forget…but I’m taking your advice on this one. Ty. : )

Ok…my guest has left a review and I’ve thought about my review for the use of potential future hosts to make up their own minds…constructive thoughts appreciated. And I’ve not illusions about what I’ll be reading in hers, lol…

“Although Shannon communcated well prior to arrival, several important house rules were not followed afterwards. Additionally, 4 bags of garbage were left on the kitchen floor along with empty 12 packs, a pizza box, and an empty 12 pack on the front porch. The large refuse can for this was just outside the kitchen where they were directed to use for their disposals.
Otherwise the cabin was in ok shape. I don’t think the property was suitable for them.”

It’s good to be specific. Instead of the specific inventory count on the garbage why not mention the other important house rules? Briefly.

1 Like

I wonder if it was the House RULES that didn’t suit them or the house itself…

I would also see the review as being of little value unless the house rules were specified. Enumerating the garbage isn’t really helpful for other hosts - the fact that there was garbage can certainly be mentioned but not to such an extent.

Were the guests quiet?
Why wasn’t the property suitable for them?
Which were the house rules that were broken?
What is ‘ok shape’?

You can see how the review leaves unanswered questions for potential hosts.

1 Like

The lack of 'detail. I have often read here that being too ‘wordy’ or descriptive in a review is cautioned against. Hence my reluctance to expand on details. And yet the ‘detail’ of the amount of garbage is too much information? A contradiction to me. For me, as a host, it tells me quite a bit.
To answer your questions. Yes they were quiet.
House rules that were ignored.
Coming to the barn and wandering around the livestock area without notifying me and setting a time for me to accompany them. This is a big deal here at the farm and I make it clear verbally and in writing. I am not sure how giving those details in a review would be helpful.
A smaller thing, that doesn’t bother me as an isolated incident, but fits it…I ask them to not strip the bed in the loft as I have a system that makes it easier for me. They ignored that as well. But I don’t feel that these details belong in a review, just that ‘certain house rules were ignored’ is fine.
Leaving a considerable amount of garbage in the house with food refuse in it. Leaving less than clean dishes on a counter rather than washing and putting them on the shelf above the counter. Where they left them the dishes were at risk of sliding off to the floor. Remember, this is a ‘tiny cabin’ with limited space, where there is a place for everything. There is no reason for this, I provide much for them, and to ignore a garbage can outside and choose to just leave all the mess inside is a clear message to me as a host that I do not want people like this in my property. I don’t mind being fussy, I deliver a lovely property and 99% of my guests appreciate it and take good care of it.
In my guest guide, It is gently asked that they merely tidy up after their stay, since I do not charge a cleaning fee. I do not ask that they vacuum, or sweep, or dust, or anything remotely ‘housework’, just to take their food out of the fridge, put dishes back and take garbage out.
As for ‘not suitable’ for the property. It was apparent upon their arrival that they were unimpressed with the property, especially the husband. Not ‘suitable’ means to me, that this ‘type’ of property was not was they apparently wanted. It was obvious upon my introduction to the property and to the things I have to go over for their comfort and understanding that they were not listening and were not interested in what I was telling them. Which is all repeated in writing in their ‘guest guide’ that I request that they read. Obviously they did not, or chose to not comply.
Perhaps she ‘surprised’ him with it, and it just wasn’t his thing. He continued to be dismissive and at times rude by not speaking to me when I engaged them at the barn where they were not supposed to be. But that wasn’t something I was going to point out in detail in a review. Personality conflicts don’t count to me when reviewing a guest unless they are beligerant, argumentative, etc.
If I read, as a host, that a property was not suitable for them, then I would take it that perhaps an Airbnb was an incompatible venue for these people. They were more of a ‘motel’ type, especially in light of how they left the cabin.
As for enumerating the garbage left, how can that NOT be helpful to other hosts? It wasn’t just one bag, which could have been ignored as an oversight, they just kept filling up the kitchen can, removing it and leaving it on the floor, and doing it over and over again. Ditto on the empty 12 packs and pizza box. At the least they are messy, at the most have no respect that this is my property and not a motel. I would like that information and I do not want guests who have that little respect for my property. If I read that when checking on a request to book, I would have declined their request.
Again, that indicates more of a ‘motel’ mindset where you just leave your garbage in your room when you check out for the housekeeping unit to clean up. And because in a motel there is not a directive to take it out nor is there anywhere to take it.
I would love to read and example of what anyone here would write in a review in this situation, that both gives details they would find important, but yet stays short and sweet. I always find something useful here in my continuing education.
And I suspect the review they’ve written will not be positive based on their attitudes, as they were obviously annoyed that there was ‘no water in the waterfall’ in the park, and that I had to reprimand them, although politely, about wandering around my animals at the barn and pasture.

1 Like

I’m not the best review writer here so use your grains of salt here:

"xx and family were not a good fit for my cabin and I wouldn’t recommend them to hosts with rentals similar to mine. In x nights they generated x large bags of garbage plus additional refuse left outside and on the floor inside. None of it was placed in the proper receptacle. The dirty dishes and copious amounts of garbage inside aren’t just unsightly, they attract insects. They also violated rules about unaccompanied visits to the livestock barn and ignored instructions on leaving beds with linens on before checkout. 2 of 5 stars in all categories. "

1 Like

Killer perfect…thank you…

1 Like

Here’s her review of my property…amusing at best…

“Please expect to be right in Deb’s front yard and expect her to watch you the entire time you’re there. Privacy should not be expected. Also expect an endless list of rules that she will verbally read to you as well as monitor during your stay. No lock on the door. The location is beautiful. The little cabin is very clean. My husband and I will not be back.”

That seems like the kind of review that can be helpful in making sure you don’t get more unsuitable guests. And nestled in with all your other great reviews it just looks stupid.

1 Like

any suggestions on a public response (if any) would be appreciated…I’m mulling and taking my time.

have penned this so far as a draft…JUST a draft. I’m learning to not let these things bother me, and sometimes it just helps to quietly write these things and then forget it…

"I agree that your family was not a good fit for my cabin. There IS a lock on the inside of the door. Since the property is fenced and security gated, there is no need for one outside. The cabin is not in my ‘front yard’ and I don’t have time to ‘watch’ my guests. Anyway, you were gone both days so I had no interaction with you at all except when you showed up to the barn despite the requirement that I accompany you with a prior arrangement . You then informed me you were not having a good time because ‘there was no water in the waterfall at the Park’.
My simple house rules (some required by insurance) were ignored. As was the information I attempted to give you on cabin operations and sights to see in the area. Leaving copious amounts of garbage on the kitchen floor on your departure was not appreciated either. "

actually I’m tempted to just let it go or think of a one liner…

1 Like

lol…thanks…I agree

Absolutely not. You have spent way too much time on this already. Let it go. I’ve PM’d you.

1 Like