Welcome! We are a community of AirBnb hosts

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts. Sign up to get the latest updates and news just for AirBnb hosts! Note that we are not affiliated with Airbnb - we are just passionate hosts!

The latest Mortgage advice UK

Hi everyone,

We are not currently Airbnbing as we’ve sold our house. There’s been a gap of 2-3 years since we last did Airbnb and while I am looking for properties I have in the back of my mind the Airbnb option.
I was recently told that mortgage companies are not keen on lending to people who plan to do Airbnb - is this correct, and if so can you recommend a lender. If we did it, it would still be our main residence rather than a holiday let so I don’t know if that makes a difference.
Some sage advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Not entirely correct, on the basis it is for a family home, not a standalone STR property.

What mortgage companies mainly don’t like is potential STR income being used as part of a borrowers income declaration, with many simply not acknowledging it. That said, it’d be worthwhile having a good read of the T&C’s of any potential provider, just in case they do mention STR or have restrictions on the number of nights you can rent out a room (I’ve heard some restrict it to 90days).

A BTL mortgage will also come with conditions, one of the most common being length of tenancy. We’ve got one on a UK property that stipulates a minimum of three months.

This is a UK focused article:

JF

1 Like

Thank you this was really helpful. A lot seems to have changed since we last did it, including the point at which you declare earnings.

Altcoin Fantasy - Crypto Fantasy Trading and Simulation Game - Win Bitcoin and Altcoins!