The ever growing bureaucracy of Airbnb - A letter send to Airbnb by me

The ever growing bureaucracy of Airbnb is drawing you away from your roots, ideals and your users.

As the rest of the world seams to have realized that the sue-happy and bureaucratic mentality of particularly North America, is only leading to unhappiness - Airbnb seams to be moving in the opposite direction.

The website is constantly changing, in an attempt to improve, Im sure, but ofte also in a way the means more work for the user.
As an example I can mention that it used to be that I could refund a guest who cancels in one or two easy steps - now I have t ego hunting through the resolutions center to find the way … And If I try to send the guest the amount of money that is sated as the maximum amount - it has happened to me two times that I have been told that I can not send this amount any way. Latest in the case of: " Guilherme 16. august 2017 - 17. august 2017 · 4 gæster
Luxury Danish design - top central. "

The biggest problem however is the security obsession that seams to plague Airbnb. Now I understand a need to verify that I am who I say I am - to a certain extend - but you have taken it way too far.
This is why: When I call you, I am usually stressed out about some problem. So I Im frustrated and not in mood to be harassed. I am also very likely to be traveling - calling long distance, which even today is expensive.
I start by having to type in my birthdate. - This should be enough for most standard things - your are not the national bank - but a rental service - so dont get delusions of grandeur …
Further more, I am asked about my full name and email address. That two is ok - or at least I am willing to put up with it, because it is information I have in the forefront of my mind. Easy. BUT when you ask about my method of payment, I think you have gone to fare. I have several cards and account and so no one, in their right mind, can expect me to know this off the top of my head. To this you always tell me, that I can just look it up … the thing is - I dont want to have to look it up … it takes time, is frustrating, not to forget unnecessary! Every time I ask if the service person can please find another question - and this should at the very least be possible … if nothing else make a secret code, like my alarm company has, that I have to give when i talk to them. That way its a one step verification.

In short - Im getting so tired, sad and feeling so harassed by your bureaucracy and security rules - that I - a super host - am considering other options.

Please stop this growing bureaucracy and come back to your roots and to us as users.

Best regards
Jacob Hasle Nielsen

The identity verification that irritates me the most when I call Airbnb is that you have to give your phone number twice. First you type it in, then the customer service representative asks for it. The last time when I pointed out that I’d already typed it in the customer service representative said, “I’m just doing my job.”.

3 Likes

When I call I have to tab my birth date but you all know that the format is different here in Europe than the us where it’s all backwards. Then I have to give my phone number, my email address, my payout method and some digits from my bank account.
Last time I called I was transfers 2 times and then i had the pleasure of repeating my self.
So tedious.

1 Like

I get you. It’s annoying but not a deal breaker for me tho.

1 Like

Jacob, where did you send this letter to? Every time I try to get written help all I can find is a “noreply” email address.

I used the help - and and contact formula on the website.