The COVID-19 Situation in India—and US Pandemic Gig Unemployment

People keep talking about the light at the end of the COVID-19 tunnel. Most US states and many other nations report that the rate of new infections has decreased and is seemingly under control.

But take a look at what’s happening in India. Here’s a current BBC article to read: on this topic.

News like this makes me increasingly nervous about reopening. I am especially worried by the last sentence in that article: "The situation in India is a bleak reminder that none of us will be safe until everyone is safe.”

As a host, I can’t identify the level of risk each new guest might bring to my house—and to themselves. I can’t know whether guests are really vaccinated. Nor can I know whether variants are starting to overpower vaccinations.

We decided, a few weeks ago, to stop filing for US pandemic gig unemployment, on the basis of official CDC travel guidelines. Now I’m worried that those guidelines are too reactive.

Is anyone in the US still getting US pandemic gig unemployment now? If so, how long do you plan to continue?

4 Likes

I understand your concern.

I think the differences among rentals will decide.

For example: I have a whole home rental, mostly drive to destination, rarely actually meet guests face to face so I’m all in for STR this summer. Actually my June 1-Sept 15 is 75% booked.

If I was a fly to destination, shared home, with frequent guest face to face time, I would probably be less agreeable to opening everything.

I’m not sure I would stop filing for gig unemployment until the rental revenue starts coming in.

5 Likes