Thanks for all discussions on how to leave a bad review

I didn’t accept dogs until a friend said I really should, and fortunately have had no problems at all with any of the dogs who have visited

1 Like

Interesting. I would turn down the bed and put a welcome chocolate there. Ferrero Rochers are a nice touch. You can kiss the chocolate goodbye, but they won’t likely fold it down.

Just a thought to save you time.

Totally understandable, but if the guest complains to Airbnb about the review, due to mention of bodily fluids, they are likely to remove the review. So other hosts wouldn’t be warned about the awful guests.

So sorry you had such an awful experience, but thank you for standing tall and warning the rest of us. Took courage and was honorable.

2 Likes

Oh I didn’t realise that…I was in touch with Airbnb superhost support who were nothing but understanding, I would have thought they should have mentioned that then! However from this board I know the so called “support” can be patchy with as many opinions as there are support staff. Thanks for the heads up

Thanks…it has taken me a long time and a majority of truly wonderful guests to feel confident about writing a really harsh - but true - review. I had some guests almost as bad when I first started, it still bothers me that I gave them a nice review they didn’t deserve

1 Like

Not quite with you. Do you mean I should choose what beds they sleep in? I would think of only making up the exact number of beds for the guests expected if I hadn’t had so very many family and friends (mostly from my husband’s side!) deciding they liked a particular room better and just going ahead and sleeping on the bare mattress with uncovered quilt and pillows

I apologize for not being clear.

What I meant was just a suggestion to turn the corner of the bed down. People might re-make a bed, but that little detail would probably be overlooked. That way you know if a bed has been slept in. Again, just a suggestion.

For some reason, when I travel on stays of less than a week, I don’t like getting under the covers!

Cheers,

Mandi

2 Likes

Thanks Mandi…I find a house full of multiple generations, which is my usual type of booking, can be having so much fun that nothing I write to them seems to go in. Having said that they are mostly lovely and so appreciative of a place to all be together. This recent group just seemed to be so awful on so many levels. Forgot to add in my initial rant that the main guest arrived 40 minutes early on a same day changeover and looked highly displeased when I said she couldn’t come in yet, I had already told her several times leading up to the stay that a large group was leaving on her day of arrival. She hasn’t written a review yet, I kind of hope she won’t

1 Like

I’m wondering why you didn’t request compensation?
A new mattress?
Ceiling leaking?
Additional cleaning?
These are costly for you.
I just made my first claim and my guests paid right away. Made me feel a bit better.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your positive outcome. Many hosts live in fear of bad reviews or want to avoid conflict with guests. Sometimes guests refuse to pay, become defensive or even give retaliatory reviews.

3 Likes

Thanks…I suppose I just don’t want the hassle. Almost everything in our house is good quality 2nd hand from house clearances a friend does so no receipts which I gather are vital for reimbursement. My husband is able to fix just about anything and made short work of the ceiling problem. No receipts there either!

If they do have the nerve to give a negative review I will share the cheerful text saying they want to come back with Airbnb. It may also help, I suppose, that I already discussed it at length with one of their Help Centre team.
I can really recommend posting a harsh review, if well deserved. A weight lifted as soon as I finished my last edit and hit “send”

PS I do absolutely empathise with any child or adult who has an over active bladder and maybe is a deep sleeper too. Many of these on both sides of our extended family, but the parents/adults themselves wouldn’t dream of traveling without the right equipment and on the rare occasion there has been an accident they have profusely apologised to the host/hotel manager and tried to make recompense
Just to walk away is indefensible.

I agree - I think “a stain” conjures up worse than a wet bed…

Swan…The “hassle” took me about 30 minutes and was cathartic. My “feelings” were hurt because my place was disrespected and this really helped! You want to make sure you take pictures. Then do research on replacement products/ cost of labor. Then make your claim.
I can’t let fear of a bad review intimidate me. If I’m right, I have stand up for myself/ house/ investment!

2 Likes

Yes you are right of course…I really must be more assertive next time! The hassle was the thought of getting receipts for a new mattress when it would be a good 2nd hand one, given to us from a house clearance, or the work done by my husband to fix the ceiling. As suspected they haven’t actually written a review, deadline tomorrow. I doubt they will now

Your review will not show up until A) she leaves a review or B)14 days

Hi All,

It is now some weeks since these awful guests stayed. I found out from my neighbours that they were incredibly noisy, on top of everything else, using the BBQ, talking, laughing and playing loud music outside until 3am each morning - I wish I had been told at the time! Sure enough, they didn’t bother to write a review

Here is what I shall do next time;

Write a review as a draft
Publish it with less than 48 hours to go so I can edit
If it seems likely they won’t write a review I will edit to add anything they wrote on Air message or by text - in this case they said they had a fantastic time and couldn’t wait to come back

I did in fact do this when the next set of bad guests stayed a few weeks later, I felt SO much better!

Thanks again everyone for your input

As an aside, you might want to consider cameras on the property and perhaps a device like ‘noise aware.’

Your neighbors were inconvenienced. It’s these kinds of experiences that not only are a source of annoyance to Hosts but also to the Host’s neighbors. That’s not good for short-term rentals, for you or for your neighbors. So you might want to take some preventative steps through active monitoring.

2 Likes