Thank you Airbnb, for nothing

Après moi, le déluge

1 Like

Spouting self-righteous rhetorical crap does not suit you. Same for railing against societal inequities, without suggestions to remedy.
Don’t feign ignorance. You know quite well I was saying that we have roofs over our heads and food to eat, not “living large”. Get over yourself.

In the USA we tend to put our lowest paid staff in positions that most directly affect the organization’s ability to survive.

For example: pre-Covid, a restaurant without a chef could survive with sous chefs carrying the load longer than without servers

Who ultimately has more influence over the customer remaining or changing service providers? The CEO or the slightly above minimum wage customer service rep?

The same is true If you go into a hardware store for an odd type of light bulb. If the floor staff treats you badly, do you care if their CEO has a stellar vision?

Wouldn’t we want our most motivated, most helpful, most clever people working in those positions? Instead they are under appreciated, under paid and the good ones gleefully go to “a better” job.

Why do we think it is a wise business move to pay the people who have the most influence the least? Doesn’t the person who keeps the customers deserve better than a $7.25 minimum wage for doing that very important job?

2 Likes

@Annet3176. Very eloquent and well-stated.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t catch that it was sarcasm.

1 Like

Don’t forget rich families consume far more than poor families even if they have the same number of kids. The rich families ecological footprint is huge by comparison. The poor families don’t buy all this consumerist plastic crap, and replace it yearly. I had a photo showing this, but can’t locate it, imagine an American or a German family v/s a poor, recent immigrant or a 3rd world family, the “worldly goods” laid out before them. A real eye opener.

I remember that graphic illustration, but it wasn’t of all their worldly goods, it was what the family ate in a week all laid out in front if them, if it’s the same one. I think I saved it in my email. I’ll see if I can find it and post it.

1 Like

Or they get rid of the low paid receptionists and all you get is voice mail hell. One of my best employers insisted that a human answer the phone during our advertised hours, and as much as possible if you were working after hours.

It kept the customers much happier to speak with a real person, even if all they did was take a message.

1 Like

And child care workers, and home health aids . . .

The list is endless. Most Americans would not do agricultural work which is why immigrants are used and intimidated. Sanitation workers? Let the well off dispose of their own waste and then ask them what value they assign to that work.

1 Like

@dpfromva

Yes the list is endless.

My small example only mentions a few to make the point that a higher minimum wage recognizes that most businesses could not exist without those first line employees who are paid the least. If they do their jobs poorly, the company will most likely fail.

Anyone who has pulled corn as the sun rises and temperatures soar into the 90s can tell you Agriculture jobs are extremely physically demanding and time sensitive.

Dad, retired school teacher, raised Charolais/Angus beef cattle. Neighbor had hundreds of head. After surgery, Dad couldn’t care for his tiny herd. Everyone should experience hauling bales of hay to the field, gate frozen shut, shoving bales over from the truck, climbing the rusty fence gate then toting bales to feed area. Dirty, sweaty in 29 degrees, and terrified the 1,000 lbs+ cows would think “that’s not our person, GET HER!!” Luckily they were more interested in the hay.

I appreciate and gives thanks for my food

5 Likes

Lol, where I live there is no trash pick up. Everyone takes it to the transfer station. We see everyone there, that and the post office.

RR

1 Like

Same where my Dad’s farm was. It’s a wonderful, different world there.

An overnight mail package arrived from attorney’s office late, after the mail delivery truck went out. The lady at the Post Office was concerned it was important & getting it tomorrow would be too late so she hand-delivered it on her way home.

1 Like

Me too! I use Myers here where I live.

Thank you for pointing this out! Disposable masks have become an environmental nightmare to wildlife and our oceans.
Toxic cleaners are horrible for humans, pets.
As has been mentioned, vinegar, baking soda, etc. Cleans well.

1 Like