Tell guest what house rules were broken?

Is it part of the public review? Sounds like a great idea, as it would be a good helper for non-IB hosts, as they do not see star ratings.

Sorry, that was unclear. For the private review Iā€™ll give details (e.g. the sā€™more). For the public review Iā€™ll be more general e.g. ā€œJim communicated well but left the house a bit dirty. Weā€™d welcome him back in the future.ā€ or similar. Luckily I havenā€™t had to do this too often!

I have a lot of house rules as I host inside my own private home. One is quiet time from 11pm to 7am and I have a specific rule, no loud telephone conversations that will disturb others. If the guest was checking out the next day, I probably would not say anything and do the same you did and rate less on following house rules. If they were staying longer, I would probably nicely remind them of that rule so that you are not woken up again. It is always uncomfortable to say anything to a guest which is why I make sure they confirm reading all house rules. They agree with airbnb to follow house rules before they book and with me a second time. If they choose not to follow, their choice and I will rate accordingly. I would also mention in the review for other others about the loud convo.

I was under the impression that non-IB hosts preferred to have a conversation with their potential guests instead of seeing the star ratings.

Yes, this non-IB host does like to have convos with my guests before accepting. The point is that we do read the written reviews. So when hosts give low stars to guests because they know guests canā€™t see them, but make the guest sound non-problematic in the written review, thatā€™s hypocritical and is a false portrayal of what to possibly expect from that guest.

3 Likes

Great advice, thank you

More great feed back! It is uncomfortable to say anything to guests. But like many said, I need to be certain they understand the rules. I am so grateful for this forum, where I can talk with other host. All have given me great advice! Thank you!.

Rules should be clear and are sent to guest by airbnb. Send them again, ask to confirm their agreement and that they understand. If there is a question about house rules it should be asked prior to arrival. As long as rules are clear and in black in white it is their responsibility to follow them and not yours to go over all your rules when they arrive. Not everyone is going to follow your rules, so just mention it in your review along with any positive about the guest.

I donā€™t find it so. I just talk to them as if they were a friend or a neighbor.

1 Like