Teenagers are the worst! An observation from a childless host

it’s about (already has) gone to a whole new level—POKEMON GO. soon you’ll notice not just kids but EVERYONE staring at their phones walking aimlessly around the city “tryna’ catch em’ all!” mark my words google play/ apple store and the app creator are going to get sued big time one day when one user ends up killing himself by accident from that game. I wouldn’t be surprised one bit if one of these pokemon catchers walks right into a busy street b/c he is trying to catch the rarest pokemon in the game. lollol —sorry that isn’t funny…was laughing at the pokemon reference not the kid getting hit.

but yes phones and this digital world are scary. I’m 28 and can’t believe how much has changed since I was a pup. Whatever happened to playing outside? kickball, stickball bball, swimming, …normal fun things to do. in 100 years (god forbid not sooner) people will not even know how to talk to strangers. get on a train, bus, subway, and don’t be on your phone or listen to music. it is DEAD QUIET. everyone on the phone. it is scary!

2 Likes

I think the way you and your family use your phones is totally normal and a good thing. reading on your tablet or phone is a whole diff. story. My comment was directed at the teens/young adults that are glued to FB, instagram, snapchat, headphones never out of their ears ALL DAY long. I was at costco one day and this mother was shopping and this 2 year old was begging her for the ipad… not to play educational games but to watch cartoons or something that IMO probably had no educational value whatsoever. It was like she was thinking “tired of you crying, here take the ipad play your games and be quiet”

1 Like

Oh yeah, we are totally on the same page. Totally. And it is a fight to keep them - and MYSELF! out of the electronic buzz.

I still struggle to teach my 1 daughter to be polite when meeting guests. She tends to mumble and be shy. She is 11. Every morning I tell her to say “good morning” to the guests having breakfast, and she barely does. I just don’t know how to teach my kids to speak to adults - I know that I never had a clue when I was a child.

I’m 31 and play Pokémon Go. I was a gamer as a teen (playing the original Pokémon!) and also played outside. I’m glad we didn’t have smart phones or Facebook back then, but I think the youth will always do things that irritate the elders.

1 Like

Yes this is true… they will and do. I played pokemon too on my gameboy but I didn’t walk around like a zombie all day catching them lol

There is a park in my city with three PokeStops and there are always lures up, so I go with my lawn chair and hang out for a few hours. I think the game is supposed to get us to walk around but I like to kick back and meet other players. I don’t see many kids playing, mostly people my age, but this park is in the dense hipster gayborhood so there aren’t too many kids in the area.

What is the purpose of Pokemon Go? Do you win money or anything? I only briefly read about it in an article. But what is the point? Do you at least get bragging rights in your city if you are the winner? I am not familiar with the original Pokemon.

you catch them all… and like, battle them so they get stronger and can beat other pokemon fighters something like that. basically the goal is CATCH EM ALL!!!

1 Like

My third guests were THRILLED that the small monument, a historic marker, in our front yard was a PokemonStop and they could sit in their rooms collecting to their heart’s content. Young thirty-somethings from Germany.

susan

I can’t get my app to load. I only downloaded this silly game to see if there was anything of interest in my immediate area. I thought guests might like to know. Oh well!

So is this only in big cities?

The original Pokémon game is a role-playing game where you capture monsters and make them battle for you. There is a story and an ending. The new game, like other mobile games, there isn’t really and ending and you just play to, yeah, brag when you conquer the neighborhood, and see how much you can level up.

1 Like

No… we even have some Pokemon on our street in rural Hawaii!

Someone is going to get shot by a homeowner. One of my friends posted on facebook that there were burglars in his yard. Someone else suggested it was a Pokemon player. Yet another friend suggested getting out the gun. Yes, in the US millions of people think the death penalty for trespassing is reasonable. And they’d have no problem killing someone over it because…IT’S PRIVATE PROPERTY!

1 Like

Goodness, if you were my age you’d remember Space Invaders and PacMan :slight_smile:

^^^ Space Invaders! We couldn’t wait to get out of school, hit the arcade and play that game. We had big contests, what absolute fun.

3 Likes

I remember those games, but they were the “old” games my parents played at the arcade before I was born!

1 Like

According to Snopes, the 15 year old being shot is a fake news story. But it is plausible since you can be shot in this country for getting lost and knocking on the wrong door.

Pokemon Go, just released and already an Urban Legend on Snopes?

1 Like

I didn’t hear about that story. But it doesn’t take a stretch of imagination to think of situations where it will become true. Especially if you’re black.

2 Likes