Take control from girlfriend of my property being used as AirBnB

I would also suggest to see a lawyer. This property is used like a business and business tenants don’t live in their store, but they still have rights and eviction is necessary. You can’t just change the locks, as that would be considered a ‘self help eviciton’.

This is the advice you should follow, the situation is a lot more complicated than you presented it in your first post. See a lawyer.

Don’t do this. Take the high road.

2 Likes

I would like to make the transition as seamless and painless as possible for me, her, and especially the innocent travelers with reservations.
I will have the electric transferred back into my name today. I can do that.
Then send the certified cease and desist letter, and hope she just voluntarily closes the account.
I will put it back up immediately on my account. Hopefully, those with cancelled reservations will see it pop back up and can rebook.
Or, if she decides to cooperate, she can just transfer it to my account.
And if that doesnt work, I may just change the locks, and let the chips fall where they may. She can sue me for it. Which will be ultimately pointless as it is my property, in my name only, and no written contract or lease exits

In Florida this can get you a home.

2 Likes

Scratch that. Talk to a lawyer today. Change all utilities back to your name.

I would: See if you can cut her a deal whereby she makes you a co-host on her account, she changes the banking info so it goes to you, and you split upcoming reservation $$$ with her up until the end of April, say. Then open your own account, list the property starting at the end date of your agreement with her, and count yourself lucky you didn’t marry her without a prenup in a community property state.

1 Like

Maybe also consider typing out an invoice for your share of the airbnb income, that you assume she’s gotten those years. That way you have something to give in the negotiation. She likely doesn’t have money, so, having that invoice out there, forgiving it has an amount attached to it.

1 Like

Change the locks to the house! What are you waiting for? And don’t tell her! Let it be a surprise. Move in! It’s your house and you have the right to live in it. When guests arrive and can’t check in, they will call Airbnb. Better yet, open the door and tell them there must be some error because you reside there. After complaints from guests, Airbnb will take the listing down. Don’t worry about the guests, Airbnb will relocate them. Once Airbnb closes down the listing, then you can relist in your name.

Hope is not a strategy. By allowing her to pay electric and a tax bill, you could be in a very bad position here. I have been a landlord for 12 years - you NEED to speak with an attorney. Now. Today.

In some states, she could easily make claims of ownership/tenancy. Stop Messing Around with this horrible situation that you created.

3 Likes

You really think that a guest that has been cancelled by a host is going to rebook the same place under a new host? That just screams a scam to even the most inexperienced guest. They will be pissed at the cancellation, the amount of time it can take to get a refund and at the moment a massive wait to speak to anyone on the phone…

Judge Judy would love this one. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Also, if you could afford to pay for the house outright you should be able to take the most sensible course and engage a good lawyer. There is too much at stake to muck about with DIY solutions.

5 Likes