Sympathetic situational discounting?

Oh yes you can :wink: and I passed that particular skill on to one of daughters as well!

JF

2 Likes

I’m glad others can. I’m impressed.

I thought I was going to die from exhaustion. I worked full time & did full time MBA program then accelerated nursing program (13 month BS-N, 8-14 hour days 6-7 days a week).

I worked 24 hours/wk getting my BS-Bus Adm full time but it wasn’t a highly competitive program so manageable.

UCLA is a name drop? It’s a state school. Maybe you’re thinking of USC.

to give details about themselves to the host because Airbnb, as well as many hosts, says that hosts like to have details about their guests?

1 Like

:rofl:

JF

It is fun reading this thread for the first time after so many have shared such great insights and experiences. It is almost like a Proustian exercise. I feel myself being pulled back and forth on the issue!

2 Likes

The weekend binge drinking didn’t affect my daughter’s school performance, but it did take a toll on her health. Binge drinking is apparently much harder on your body than drinking moderately daily, even if it ends up being the same amount consumed in a week.

She barely drinks at all anymore.

1 Like

Smart. Much healthier

Glad to hear it all went well! it’s impossible to know, but i have found that the more difficult guests tend to be quiet before they arrive. Humans are interesting… I worked retail for a while and at least there the interaction is usually only 5mins long.

funny how in the USA the private colleges are prestigious. in Australia the private universities are looked down upon because it’s widely known you can buy your way in, and no one will fail.

1 Like

All 4 of them? :wink: (true story) I still don’t think it’ll keep you out of an Airbnb, which was my point: no one name drops a college so that they can stay in an Airbnb. They’d be better off not bringing college into the discussion at all.

1 Like

haha, slightly more than 4. and I agree, I just don’t understand why they felt the need to mention their college and degree in their chat, esp as must of us have a generalized idea of what college kids are like (based on us having been one ourselves! and i have 2 in my household). maybe they are just super proud of themselves and it’s their identity right now. fair enough. Glad it all worked out.

Well, they’re 29 yrs old and Masters grads. Hardly kids.

They did it to legitimize themselves & elicit sympathy…make themselves sound responsible and trustworthy AND broke-ish (grad school $$$).

I have had similar twice…but they were trying to convince me because they were under my booking age limit. One worked out good (not great) and the other was a crash and burn. It’s what I get for breaking my own rules.

I mean, what if they’d said,”We are a couple of 35 year old accomplished entrepreneurs just wrapping up a lucrative business deal…can we get a discount?” :joy:

It was a smart way to approach it, even if it didn’t get them the disc.

2 Likes

I don’t know why people think their accomplishments, schooling, or profession is some assurance to others that they’ll be responsible.

Being respectable and being respectful are two totally different things.

2 Likes

I think people have many opportunities to learn how to be respectful on their way to becoming respectable.