Sweetest guest but couple of things

That’s the thing, Cabinhost, if I saw he was trying to walk over me, I would say. But I am sure he doesn’t. The guy is the most considerate otherwise. Example: on a weekend, he wouldn’t come out of his room before we finished breakfast. I even asked him if we should make coffee for him, and he replied he doesn’t want to bother us and be In a way. Always closed his door, Bathroom was left in a condition, that I don’t even have to wash it, not a spot. He would be that perfect guest if it was not for those 2 things. That’s why I was hesitant whether to tell him or not.

I wonder if he wears a new set of pajamas every day too? I just thought of something - don’t some guys sweat a lot under their arms? - I mean a lot, a lot? Do you think he maybe brings an extra shirt to work with him and changes? I don’t have any experience with knowing someone who perspires thaaaaat much - but I thought I have heard of this.

I hope he is genuinely nice and considerate, and not just buttering you up so he can do all the laundry he wants. Would you feel okay charging per load beyond the two per week?

I think if you say something it should be really soon though - he could have some kind of obsessive compulsive disorder and has to wash everything or else it feels dirty to him. He might be need to bring triple the amount of clothes…oh the things I will never see my guests doing since I don’t live with them. I’m sure if I saw some of the things I would go crazy. Bad enough what I see on camera.

I don’t think i will be comfortable charging. I would rather they did not do it at all.
May be you are right , may be itis OCD. I had a neighbor once who washed his car every single day. :slight_smile:

That’s way too funny!

I was thinking of starting a new thread about this, but you beat me to it!

So far, laundry has not been a huge problem…only the couple from Oklahoma using the machines at 3 AM and the fellow from the UK who asked if he could do laundry (so considerate) and then left his wet laundry in the machine the whole day! Ugh…i did not enjoy folding his underwear after removing it from the dryer so I could dry my own laundry. Grrrr…

But, the door slamming. Oh, the door slamming! What is up with people? Fortunately, most guests I have are like ninjas…silent as they come, and I don’t even know they are there. But, now and then I get guests who have no clue how to close a door without slamming it. What the hell? They come from developed countries, and they can afford to fly to the US, so I know it’s not like I have someone who is unfamiliar with how door knobs work. It just baffles me. I have a Korean couple with me now who tend to slam every door in the house all hours of the day and night. And, they are in and out of the bathroom constantly…like ten times an hour (and, we won’t even get into how much water they leave all over the place). I haven’t said anything, but I have tried hard to model how to close a door, and maybe it’s wishful thinking, but I think they have taken the hint. I have not heard as much slamming the past two days (and nights).

I am just curious to know…since I know others have talked about door slamming as a major annoyance…how it’s dealt with. Because it’s one of those things that should be common sense, but even the most pleasant and thoughtful guests seem to lack common sense in some of the most basic areas…for example…um, I don’t know…slamming doors makes a lot of noise, is unnecessary, and very irritating to your hosts. WTH?

I don’t have to go very far : my own father. When I visit him, after few days I go to hotel. In other areas is most considerate and polite man, but when it comes to move quietly around the house that’s when it all ends.
Morning starts with him knocking at my door: Yana, Yana, Yana, coffee is ready, coffee is ready. It’s 7 am, I am on vacation, even if I am awake, could you just not yell from the very morning???
But in fact my morning starts with him walking like an army of elephants around 5:30 am. slamming doors, yelling to his wife from the second floor to the first.
I usualy last few days. When I was there with my daughter, she didnt have my patience, aftre first night she started packing and we ended up in a hotel.
And my dad was very surprise when I told him ( I had no problem with that). I asked him, do you realize that we are still sleeping at 5:30, and you standing next to my door and talking with a full strength? And could you hold the doors when you close them?
He even suggested that I am making it up, so I could move to hotel:):slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh my gosh…like I have stated before - I believe loud people sleep like the dead so they assume whatever noise they make is not bothering anyone.

Yana- I clearly have a memory of my father knocking on my bedroom door on a Sat. morning saying “breakfast is ready” - Why? No way I wanted to eat breakfast after being woken out of a sleep. Like I just want to jump out of bed to eat? He was in the military and used to get up at 5 a.m. to go to the naval ship. So I guess for him to have a weekend off he could not sleep in and thought he should make breakfast. But I didn’t even eat breakfast before going to school…so why in the world would I want to get up early to put food down my face? I don’t understand people.

And I would get so mad when my parents would talk next to my door. I would have to yell and then get scolded. Go walk away and have a discussion.

Jackulas…I will say that my mother is the only person who acts like a ninja and I can sleep with her being fully up and getting ready in the morning. She understands how to be a quiet person.

I sleep with a box fan on full blast. I also need another one just to drown everything out. A bunch of us must be highly sensitive to noise. I don’t even stay with my guests but have had tons of roommates so can relate to the noise issue.

I relate with your young Cabinhost and want to say I admire your ability to find ways to protect yourself and your property. You’re a great host mentor!

1 Like

Door slamming happens when the windows are all open; I strategically set my heavy scotchtape dispenser in front of the door as a “door stopper”.

I find that when I do the initial check-in; address all the issues and as you experience more annoying things you can add it to your list to talk through.

Airbnb provided these handy stickers that state whether something is for use or private use. Honestly this will help the guest understand that HEY maybe I need to buy some detergent. I try to avoid all passive agressive behavior by communicating in the description and reiterating when checking in.

Remember this is still your home and you have a right to enjoy peace and quiet in your own residence. Also CYA (cover your ass) make sure to call airbnb and let them know what’s going on so they have it on record. This will avoid any issues with reviews etc! …

I HATE slamming doors and I feel your irritation and pain. I find most guests try not to cause any conflict but if you do not enforce your house rules people will walk over you < then you only have yourself to blame.
Don’t let a gift stop you from being honest. Always keep Airbnb informed just incase you fear escalation etc.

And until this person books for the next month I wouldn’t give him special treatment. People say a lot of things…

1 Like

Winfows are all closed bcs of AC

You think itts a good idea to put a sticker saying : please , use your own detergent? Seems like a good idea.

1 Like

Oh my gosh…another one with slamming doors…

I know people can be “hard” on things. I never thought it would be on shutting doors though. If I ever get a place shared the title will be “Luxury Ninja rental” - I have a white noise machine in each bedroom so guests must use their intelligence to find it in their face. But I can’t stop the frogs going crazy at certain times of the year. It is really crazy and loud. The sounds of nature are soooo loud. I need a box fan so keep sound machines.

Look at my frog feedback. Love these guests. They were really nice: And yes, her friends were correct about my frogs. Oh gosh I just want to set up sound machines in all corners. Now that is nice sleep.

Hey! Thanks so much for processing our refund so quickly, and I’ll be happy to write a review!

The only thing that I want to make you aware of…I think something is mating in the water fall. Our friends only got a few hours of sleep each night because whatever is happening in that water fall was SO LOUD!! We could hear it a little during the day at that was no big deal, but I woke up Saturday night and couldn’t believe the racket! To me it sounds like something is stuck in a drain, but our friend swears it’s frogs. I’ve never heard frogs like that, but he may have been right considering all of the tadpoles in the fountain. I’m not kidding…I wish I’d thought to record the sound. There are a gazillion tadpoles in that fountain – I can’t imagine the frog infestation that’s going to happen when they mature. Frogs gross me out – if there were a million out there hopping around when I was renting, I would have had to leave. Of course I’ll be happy to write a glowing review without mentioning the frogs, but I just wanted you to be aware. If my parents had been there during Croakfest 2015, my mother would have had a fit! :wink:

Thanks so much for all of your help with everything – you’re the best!

1 Like

I remember those frogs in Puerto Rico.

We have those here. The coqui frog. Shrieking little monsters… But not in my subdivision. Everywhere else on the island though.

Hide the detergent under your bed.

Well, the guest ended up never staying with me. It’s not even about detergent that I won’t hide under my bed, it’s more about use of electricity as I know it takes a lot of it. Also, the fact that no one needs to do so much laundry. It’s just seems such a waste.

1 Like

How come he didn’t stay in the end?

He left saying that he would text me next week with exact date of his return and never did. So, I never heard from him again. It happens.

Yana… maybe he found someone with private laundry w/D right in their room??! :slight_smile: My son is going back to Japan for another study abroad year and his new dorm rooms feature private laundry w/d in each room! Not that he will use it that much! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: