Superhost but Banned for life on Airbnb

You climbed through a hatch dripping with urine? :face_vomiting: Why wouldn’t you use the same door the guest’s use?

4 Likes

My two cents are to take your business elsewhere. There are so many vacation rental websites. If you try to create another account and they realize it, they will again deactivate it and cancel your reservations. Best to use another platform. So sorry you had to go through this. Hope it all works out.

3 Likes

Some hosts have found success by first fighting this on social media like their Facebook and Twitter accounts to make it a public embarrassment for them

4 Likes

Are there any that do the private rooms in a house rentals similar to Airbnb?

I was under the impression she rented out a guest house not a room in her home. For single rooms in a home, I don’t know of any other platform. I do have a friend that rents out a room in her house to college students. I think she ran an ad in the local newspaper.

1 Like

AirBnB’s Terms of Service provide for mediation (which may only apply in the US, and like many mediation provisions in contracts, it requires that you use Air’s choice of mediators). In the EU, provisions may be quite different. Like others have said, you might need to hire an attorney.

I hope that what Air Customer Disservice folks told you was on their messaging platform, not just on the phone. If I had something like this happening, I would record every phone call with Air CS, but such recording in my state only needs the consent of one party to the call and laws may be different where you live.

I would try embarassing Air on Twitter and Facebook to see if you get a response. If not, it may be time to call lawyers. FYI you can’t sue for damages in the US but you can in the EU.

One US based host won a case against both Air and a guest for closing her listing because she had a pet toy that looked like a pistol.
See

2 Likes

In the EU, you can sue Airbnb for both reinstatement and damages. I expect that you can file suit and when the papers are served to Airbnb, it will dawdle around and then as the court date approaches, an attorney will call you and say you are “reinstated.”

That was my case at least. However, I was not truly “reinstated,” my dashboard became active but my listings were not active or visible, until I kept contacting their attorney to get me truly “active.”

I also got a damages offer to settle the case that was ridiculously low, that I refused and we went to court.

My saga is here:

http://charmcityhomestay.com/airbnb-legal-saga/

If the EU has the concept of “joint tortfeasors,” you can sue both the guests and Airbnb, for your losses and to force reinstatement.

4 Likes

Yes there are @JohnnyAir, depending on where you are based. If you google for homeshare’s in your area, you will see listing companies that advertise these come up.

1 Like

hi Mandi,
It was on the advice of other hosts at the Airbnb Community that we had estimates made of the damage; this includes intensive cleaning (ammoniac), sandbeaming the ceiling where the stains where, and new varnish and paint with extra coating to prevent the ammoniac from getting through… I know it’s a lot, but I asked only the damage deposit, although the estimates were around 2000 euros. The damage deposit was 500 euros. Airbnb payed it straight away the full amount, more than we hoped for, I suppose it was from some sort of fund they have for these kind of things, and guest having to pay only the damage deposit that you choose…

1 Like

Hi Brian,

Because it was the shortest way, and at that time, we did not know what it was, it was just a lot of water so it might have been a leak… Unfortunately, we knew soon enough that it wasn’t just water… LOL

1 Like

thanks, I might try that!

Wow, I can’t believe that one individual actually can win a case against this huge holding. It might be worth taking it to an attorney, but I’m just not up to all the costs (I don’t know about the US, but here in Belgium, you pay 100 euros for one hour of your lawyer’s time)…

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a guesthouse but i’s connected to our house (we bought the house next door, and connected it to our house, so our attic is part of the guestrooms, running through our house. So it’s kind of a guestroom rental partly seperated from ours…

I’ve heared stories that it doesn’t work, because to become a co-host, you must make a new profile, and that’s simply impossible because every data you gave them, will light up like a red flag if you re-use it…

That’s why I represented myself. You are free to use the legal papers (see my link, above) that I filed as a template for your own.

Digital commerce is such a brave new world that IMO you can certainly represent yourself w/o paying an attorney a fortune.

2 Likes

Surely it depends on the data, I am sure your partner has their own email, phone, photo ID, payment channel etc S/he can take their own photos and write their own description.

The only thing the same would be the listing address, but then people move in and out of places all the time.

Surely worth a try and a cheap and easy solution @lienvelghe

I’d suggest drawing up a press release. Send it to Airbnb corporate and ask if they’d like to comment before you distribute it. They don’t like this kind of press.

4 Likes

Actually, I would immediately start with telling your story on public media. No warning needed at all. Start with Airbnb’s FB page and Twitter account.

They have already harmed you and your business. This is not the time to issue warnings.

Air does not like negative publicity. Time to use the only weapon you have, short of legal.

1 Like

Bad idea. As soon as you publish (other than to Airbnb’s own social media) you have lost any leverage you may have had in respect of the content.

Actually going public is the move of last resort.

JF

3 Likes

He’s already “banned for life” and they won’t take his calls. What would you suggest? :laughing:

1 Like